Hey everyone just a few quick questions about south American cichlids

I have looked a bit into these guys and have decided to set up a simple tank maybe 1 or 2 Rivulatus or perhaps something else.

Looking for something a bit more "special" then your average varieties you find in the LFS. Any suggestions?

And also from peoples experiences selecting fish I have heard the some south Americans will be dog ugly when they are young but grow into the mosts colourful fish?

Also I have a colony of demasoni about 3m 12f all with straight bars breeding regularly never sold my fish before but wanted to know if anyone could tell me what they would be worth? They are young fish from different bloodlines some f are holding there first mouthfuls and others are fully grown matured and holding huge mouthfulls. Only 1 of the males is at full maturity the other 2 are around 3.5.I also live in bundaberg so you can't get these fish at any of the LFS here.

Check out what I breed if you're after Rivs or something similar, most americans colour up with age, but a few look good as juvies.

Finding it hard to deciede mostly because all the pics on google have the same name and look different colors or have the same colors and a differently name. what is the main differences in the white gold orange and red Rivulatus? Mainly after the one with the most color and personality when fully grown.

The LFS has some ATM im in bundaberg so what should I be looking for when choosing them young so that I get a quality fish that still turns out to be what I'm after?

The escondido, red Texas and polleni are awesome are they all basically the same in character?

Edited by bundyfish

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/photography-video-lounge-23/my-americans-56544/

Have a look at the pics here, look for straight lines down the side of the rivs, check towards the tail that there isnt a dip in the lines(bent/deformed spine), and just look for fat healthy fish, personally the orange/red fin rivs look the best colourwise, but whites are my favorite

Nice fish mate !!! Thanks for the info and help. Would you say the ones at the LFS called Rivulatus GOLD saum would be yellow? Hard without looking at them but all the different names and colors haha it's confusing. I'm Going to go back and have another look at them tomorrow now.

Most forsale at big shops will come from the same supplier, most independents buy from other breeders, I find the majority are yellow/golds, if they have any orange when they're 5-6cm(look at the last 3 qtrs of the dorsel) they'll be red/orange fins as adults, juvies with full yellows tend to stay yellow.