gingerbeer

tank stand manufacture

I am looking for ideas. I have got a few in my head as to how I am going to do it - but leaving it a bit open. I believe that I don't know it all and am open to a new idea.

OK I probably could have worded my post better in that regard - I'll try again.

I am looking for ideas on stands. looking at 3 teir 4 tank wide 2 footers with ends pointing out. and 3 teir four footers.

So if you have any stands or make stands let me know. If you have an original thought please share it. (I have thought of pallett racking maybe?)

If you are considering other ideas, I usually leave 8cm overhang on the tanks. ie the stand is deliberately 8cm too short front-back. Advantages- less stand material required, more working head room between tank tiers, able to plumb bottom drains directly into horizontal pipe. This saves several pipe fittings per tank and the horizontal drain has an uncluttered run without taking up valuable head room access. Also allows your standpipe to be very close to tank front and the horizontal pipe shields light effectively as a light hood. Disadvantages - Having tanks overhang unsupported 6-8cm makes some people nervous. (not me). Some people think it looks unplanned and untidy (not me). I also put 3 footers end on and overhang those too.

Other ideas regarding stands - I make them 15cm shorter than I need and use a layer of house bricks (15cm high) to keep their feet off the potentially wet floor. I prefer wood over steel and would use pine over hardwood. I have a couple of uprights continue high enough to support overhanging lights or airline tubes over the top tier of tanks.

You might find partitioning a larger tank cheaper than several single 2 footers and this will save plumbing and filtration costs if you make the partition not water tight.