wombat

Algone...(or should I say All gone)

Does anyone use or know anything about Algone?

http://www.algone.com/store/customer_service.php

I used it in the past and the tank was always really clear, I thought I would give it a go again because we have an algae problem in our display.

Problem is I just bought some on the net from the US and AQIS has seized the shipment! They have it classified on the letter as "aquarium filters with enzymes" in "organic chemicals & substances" and I either need to pay to have it sent back to the US (more than I paid for the item), let them destroy it and lose my money, or apply for a permit (which I know nothing about and will cost me more money)?

Has anyone imported this before? I have e-mailed their customer service and I am waiting to hear but I can't see why quarantine would have a problem with it?

Any advice would be much appreciated, it appears that either way I am going to be out of pocket on this internet purchase

:cry:

Do you know what it would be about that product that they have a problem with? I couldn't find it in any Australian shops so I went os for it, but have seen it for sale in the past?

They are like little tea bag type things that you put in the filter / tank but it is a patented formula, so I have no idea what is in it.

This is from the website:

"Algone will gently reduce and inhibit algae without the introduction of harmful chemicals"

"Inhibits Algae Growth - Removes Nitrates - Reduces Ammonia and Nitrites

Clears Cloudy and Green Water - Produces Crystal Clear Water - Balances the Water Column"

Thanks everyone, your help is much appreciated. I just got off the phone from the distributor, great bloke. I can get it here from a local store he told me about which is great news but the bad news is I have lost my money on the shipment from the US as I can't import it without a permit :(

Sorry to hear that mate you should have asked me about it there is a couple of shops on the coast that sells it which one did the distibutor send you too. I got stung about 10 years ago on food so I know how you feel the only thing I get srom overseas now is books and mags.

Yeah thanks guys. He says that Red Devil and one other at Forest Glen stock it and can order other Biotec products.

Aparantly Algone is suitable for saltwater and fresh, according to the website.

UPDATE:

The customer service rep from Algone in the US e-mailed me to apologise as they have had this problem with shipping to Aust customers before and he has issued a refund! That was unexpected! Feel much better now, I think that will teach me for doing all my shopping on the internet!!!