much much bigger especially the last couple of gold coast ones

never can tell recently bristle noses have been popular and old fish re appear while other favs like dolphins havent been seen in the last couple

bring money foam box and a sense of fair play I hate seeing nice fish being sold or passed in

peter

last one went past midnight and that is with 2 people auctioneering

Should be a fairly big auction this time around. Always good to go, just for the info from the auctioneers and fellow fishkeepers you meet and greet.

Do a search on this forum and there's plenty of info and tips on the auctions. ;)

I'll be there Glen!

Brisbane are the biggest auctions, usually people are willing to part with their money there too LOL

Be prepared for the regulars tho... bnose, electric yellows, we should start tipping which will be the most sold fish... my bet is on yellows... any takers?? :lol:

If you want to sell anything get there around 3pm if not earlier to get a good (early) lot, just can't sell electrical items that aren't safety tagged or gravel.

Stace

QFAS Super Auction

Saturday March 21

St Josephs College Basketball Stadium

Gregory Terrace Spring Hill

(near Centenary Pool)

Enter Car Park at bottom of school from Roger or Victoria Streets

http://www.qfas.org/

So what's every one bringing??? Any sellers out there with anything interesting?

;)

i will be bringing

some cherry shrimp

some pure endlers

some L397

some large orange spots

and if not collected some albino longfin bristle noses

thats about it unless i find something hiding in a tank

peter

Tips for the first timers . . .

Tip #1: They won't necessarily advertise how many bags they have, they might drop a hint but will only ever hold up one bag and you bid on that one bag. They only announce how many are available after the bidding has ended.

So if you win the bid on any one auction, and there's 3 lots, you're entitled to take all them being the winner. Or just one bag or two bags, being the winner you have first dibs on what you please.

Tip #2: Further to tip #1, often you see two bidders will go at it for a while and up goes the price, only for the winner to be told there's actually three bags of that fish available. If the winner only wants one bag the second bidder has dibs on what's left. If the second bidder also only wants one bag they ask the remaining bidders or audience who wants the last bag. And all bags are at the winning bid price.

Tip #3: Also quite often you see two or three bidders go at it for a while and someone might pull out thinking there's perhaps two or three bags available, only to be told there's just one bag .Or the winner takes all three bags and they miss out.

Tip #4: They will have a projection screen on stage and will display a photo from the Net of the species currently up for auction, but generally you won't be able to stop the auction and inspect the fish up close. So bear in mind it's a minor gamble as you're bidding on something "sight unseen".

Sometimes they will invite people to come up to the stage to inspect but only on the big ticket items such as something quite rare. And anyway, by the time you've taken the time to rush up to the stage to take a closer look the bidding has ended!

However, as the winning bidder the runner will get you to inspect the bag before accepting it, so you can still decline a lot if you don't like what you see in the end. Also bear in mind QFAS inspects all lots before they go into the auction and this includes the auctioneers themselves. So anything dodgy or unacceptable gets picked up.

Tip #5: Regards to Tip # 4 and any doubts about not knowing the quality of the fish on offer, it's a tough call but I've learnt it's better to bid on something I'm really keen for, and get it home for cheap. Then I can decide whether it's worth holding on to or try make my money back by selling it on later.

Tip #6: Don't hold off on a fish you really want, thinking more will come up later. Maybe they will, but maybe that fish won't come up for the rest of night.

So if something comes up that you want, don't hold back because at the end of the day the stock is cheaper than retail and you will kick yourself the next day if you miss out!

Tip #7: The auction moves fast - as per previous tip, don't hold off on something you want. While you're deciding on whether to bid it's ended and the next lot has started.

Tip #8: Bring and esky or polystyrene box, regardless of your intention to buy anything. It can be a long hot night and you may end up with fish sitting exposed for a long time before they make it home.

Tip #9: Usually the fish have been sitting in their bags for quite a few hours prior to the start of the auction. Sometimes the QFAS have an O2 bottle on hand where you can get your fish re-bagged. I always take some spare bags or a bucket or two, plus a bottle of Prime and a battery operated air pump, just in case. At the very least, having a bottle of Prime handy and some spare bags will get you out of any trouble.

Tip #10: They have well priced food on hand such as hot dogs, BBQ sausages, cold drinks etc. So don't worry about missing out on dinner and starving.

Tip #11: It can be a long night. So settle in for the long haul and enjoy the spectacle that an auction is.

sounds great........gonna bring up 2 mates with me that dont believe me that there is fish auctions. :lol::lol:

There are fish auctions in Sydney too!! :laugh:

I'll be bringing some Malwai juvies, multis, some kind of endler LOL - pretty much the same as i have in the livestock section.

I'll be on the lookout for some longfin marble bn's - should have got some at caboolture!! :sorry:

Tip #12: Bring a cusion for your seat unless you have an inbuilt one LOL

Come lol and bring your cories to ahah.

My cousin was waiting for some sterbai cories last time, and the exact time he goes to the loo the only bag is announced for auction. Didnt know he wanted them until after we left fot home lol.

So

Tip # 13: Tell a friend what your after so you dont miss anything!!

Tips for the first timers . . .

Tip #4: They will have a projection screen on stage and will display a photo from the Net of the species currently up for auction, but generally you won't be able to stop the auction and inspect the fish up close. So bear in mind it's a minor gamble as you're bidding on something "sight unseen".

Sometimes they will invite people to come up to the stage to inspect but only on the big ticket items such as something quite rare. And anyway, by the time you've taken the time to rush up to the stage to take a closer look the bidding has ended!

However, as the winning bidder the runner will get you to inspect the bag before accepting it, so you can still decline a lot if you don't like what you see in the end. Also bear in mind QFAS inspects all lots before they go into the auction and this includes the auctioneers themselves. So anything dodgy or unacceptable gets picked up.

It's great that the auctioneers inspect them beforehand and I've seen some not let up for auction based on their assessment, which is great to see as it assures me that honesty is more important than any profit.

The video screen is a good idea, but most of the time the auction of a certain fish is over long before they get a photo on the screen. Wouldn't it be a good idea to get a list of the next three items up for auction so they could have the photos ready ?

Looking forward to tomorrow night ! See everyone there !

Doug

is it fish in at 3 auctions start at 4 or 4-5 ?

That's right, fish in at 3pm and auction to start at 4pm. They plan to start at 4pm but sometimes run a bit late. Certainly off and going by 4.30pm is the norm but really depends on how many volunteers QFAS has on hand and how much stock they have to register in.