So I'm trying to under stand why fish food is so up and down with prices ?

Eg; alge wafers at a lfs that I saw this week was $90 for 1 kg and some one on here had 1kg for $10 what's the difference ? And flake a bucket of flora will set you back $150 and I can get 10 kg of no brand for the same money ? Now in saying that I do no that you get what you pay for! But really 600% mark up for alge wafers !wtf.I no the shops need to make money that's not the point of this thread just trying to understand the difference between expensive and cheap food .

So this thread I wanted to ask

What are you using and why?

Why not go cheaper?

Have you tried cheaper food did it do the same job?

i use the cheap foods with the same growth rates and qaulity of fish as the expensive brands because all in all all foods are the same just some may have an additive that the others dont but why pay a masive price for a few extra additives.

there will be others who think different but this is my opinion.

i grew jags (managuense) in 2 seperate tanks and fed half batch on mixed diet of quality pellets and frozen foods and the other tank with half batch only cheaper native pellets (4 bux a kilo barra pellets) and surprise surprise the native pellets out performed the varied diet in speed of growth and general girth. now i look at it this way, the spp i used did not require colour additives like astax but would of prolly benifited from the varied diet. i dont say to only use cheaper foods but they certainly have there place in the hobby ;) JMHO

native protein pellets have their use when you are growing meat for the table.

But when its a pet, its a different story!

Most people here know that I feed new life spectrum 1mm and 3mm to pretty much everything in my fish room.

Why? well because it makes my fish bulletproof, pretty and lets me overstock and get away with less water changes.

But did you know I use the ocean nutrition shrimp wafers for my fancy prawns?

Why? because they are awesome, perfect size, excellent ingredients and just hilarius to watch.

The cost of a food comes down to the cost of ingredients.

Did you know the price of brineshrimp eggs is floated on the stock market?

Or that the price of fish meal almost doubles every few years as fish stocks run lower and lower?

That the price of human grade spirulina used in european fish foods is about 50 times that of the stuff grown in 3rd world cow poo ponds?

That cold extrusion production is much more expensive but retains 10 times the nutrition of hot extrusion pellets?

You can keep people alive on 2 minute noodles.

But theres nothing better than finishing uni, getting a proper job and tucking in to a real feed.

srsly tho

those ocean nutrition shrimp wafers are incredible.

I shudder at the cost per kg

but combo'd with mullberry leaves, they are worth it 10 times over!

DeadFishFloating you have some very good information there. but do you really think its the food making them bullet proof and letting you over stock? not trying to have a argument just looking for more reason to why you asume this.

imo your filtration would pay a role in this as all my tanks with ready to sell fish are always over stocked but i have a very low loss if any at all and i only feed the cheap fish foods.

Good point there rion at the end of the day fish poo is fish poo and whether you filter can Handle it will not come down to it was good quality fish food or cheap food .I still believe that a veriaty of different food is the best.

srsly tho

those ocean nutrition shrimp wafers are incredible.

I shudder at the cost per kg

but combo'd with mullberry leaves, they are worth it 10 times over!

Why are thay worth 10 times over Donny

Do you get 10 times the growth ?

Or 10 times the spawns compared to fish feed on cheap food?

I'm not having a go at you just trying to undersand the why people say thay only feed top quality food and if you don't do the same thay look at you like your a idiot!

Well the shrimp wafers are worth it because they get not just nutrition but the minerals shrimps need. Their size lets the shrimp feed like they do in the wild, they are not "sharers" and these give them the option to pick it up and selfishly run off with them. They also make it easy to get portions right. Two of the big killers with fancy shrimp is over feeding and problems moulting due to lack of certain minerals. This food goes a long way to solving them and that makes it worth it too me :D

As far as why do I consider fish raised on spectrum to be bullet proof........... well that comes down to many years placing my fry into tanks with fry raised by many many other breeders/suppliers. Put side by side, I can see better condition, better colour and usually see them on top of the pecking order. Its not just the food, I put effort into water quality and also the psychological health of my fish. But the food helps a lot. The fact I get longer between water changes on NLS is also something that rapidly adds up.

Keep in mind I often overstock for extended periods when grading a new generation. It takes time to work out which fish are to be my next breeders. I didnt just wake up one day and think hmmmm maybe I will feed everything NLS. This was something I decided on after trying all the alternatives.

I can perhaps explain this best by talking about something completly unrelated.

This is more often the case then not in these things!

So anyway, with reef tanks I used to use the cheapest salt mixes I could get to make water for water changes.

I means whats the bloody difference except price right?

Well I am a tester. i dont consider water testing an option, rather its an obligation that we must do in the interest of our livestocks long term quality of life.

Anyway one day I was looking back through a 12 month tank journal and I realised something rather brutal.

I had spent more on aditives when using cheap salt mixes, than I had used on buying quality salt mixes!

We are talking over a thousand bucks extra on suppliments.

You may think variety is the magic bullet.

But its certainly not cheaper than buying a quality complete product.

its also not easier or faster

or even more reliable.

To this day I can solve almost any reef tank water quality problem with water changes using a quality reef salt mix made up with good water.

Its so easy its almost cheating.

And thats how I feel about NLS.

I'd rather pay a bit extra $

and avoid any potential drama or work.

Edited by DeadFishFloating

Well the shrimp wafers are worth it because they get not just nutrition but the minerals shrimps need. Their size lets the shrimp feed like they do in the wild, they are not "sharers" and these give them the option to pick it up and selfishly run off with them. They also make it easy to get portions right. Two of the big killers with fancy shrimp is over feeding and problems moulting due to lack of certain minerals. This food goes a long way to solving them and that makes it worth it too me :D

As far as why do I consider fish raised on spectrum to be bullet proof........... well that comes down to many years placing my fry into tanks with fry raised by many many other breeders/suppliers. Put side by side, I can see better condition, better colour and usually see them on top of the pecking order. Its not just the food, I put effort into water quality and also the psychological health of my fish. But the food helps a lot. The fact I get longer between water changes on NLS is also something that rapidly adds up.

Keep in mind I often overstock for extended periods when grading a new generation. It takes time to work out which fish are to be my next breeders. I didnt just wake up one day and think hmmmm maybe I will feed everything NLS. This was something I decided on after trying all the alternatives.

I can perhaps explain this best by talking about something completly unrelated.

This is more often the case then not in these things!

So anyway, with reef tanks I used to use the cheapest salt mixes I could get to make water for water changes.

I means whats the bloody difference except price right?

Well I am a tester. i dont consider water testing an option, rather its an obligation that we must do in the interest of our livestocks long term quality of life.

Anyway one day I was looking back through a 12 month tank journal and I realised something rather brutal.

I had spent more on aditives when using cheap salt mixes, than I had used on buying quality salt mixes!

We are talking over a thousand bucks extra on suppliments.

You may think variety is the magic bullet.

But its certainly not cheaper than buying a quality complete product.

its also not easier or faster

or even more reliable.

To this day I can solve almost any reef tank water quality problem with water changes using a quality reef salt mix made up with good water.

Its so easy its almost cheating.

And thats how I feel about NLS.

I'd rather pay a bit extra $

and avoid any potential drama or work.

Have to agree, my tanks are cleaner when fed NLS, fish look better, grow faster, and my fish are picky with Hikari, NLS is the only food all my fish fight for

I feed my fish a mixed diet of hikari pellet and aquaone pellet and frozen blood worms, if they dont want to eat it then they can gtfo!

good info there DeadFishFloating.

do you no the best way to decide what best suits you that can beat what anyone else says that is test it for your self i am sure there would be someone on here that would be happy to sell a bit of there nls so you could try it with out spending the big $$$ to find you get the same results as the cheaper stuff.

its like all things with fish it may work for one but dosnt mean it will work for you.

but saying all this it is always good to take notes of what others in this hobby say or do as for good or bad you can always have that to fall back on

Thanks donny you are all ways a wealth of knowledge ! It's nice to have some one willing to take the time to share what thay have learnd out of there own experiences

Thanks mate your a champ!

and end of the day, thats all it is, personal experiences.

I dont think theres a better way to enjoy this hobby than by trying out new things that look/sound promising.... and then making your own verdict on them.

That said, times change and the best fisho's change with them. I have a whole storage shed full of fish stuff, that at the time, seemed like the greatest things ever! And now seem a bit silly.

This internet thing, its just so helpful with regards to fish keeping