Eric

How to transport big fish?

I have just bought a big 6ft fish tank, i comes with a breeding trio of oscars, 2 x 30cm flowerhorns, 2x 30cm plecos, a 25cm BGK and 4 large silver dollars. What is the best way to transport them? They will be in the car for an hour or so.

lol thought u meant big fish.. yer a large net a 3 60 liter container from bunnings or eskys if u have them and your good to go, same goes for larger fish bigger net and bigger eskys

Edited by Syndicate

Yeah don't bother with airpump, just use a styrobox, esky or large plastic container from bunnings

You can get really large fish bags if you want to bag them with air in the bag but it's easier to just use the above methods

Ask the owner not to feed them for a day or two before the move. You do not want full on poop in your container on the way home even if it is only one hour travelling. Ammonia in water is pretty fast and that together with the stress of moving can make fish rather sick and prone to ich.

The BGK might get rather stressed and confused in the container with all the other fish. I would probably put him in a bucket with an airpump running separate from the other fish.

Add seachem prime or stresscoat or some water conditioner to the transport water. It will help them cope with ammonia pollution and also help their slime coat which you will have damaged during netting.

Run a battery airpump and airstone in the big container too. You do not want stressed fish running short of air and panicking in the container.