the cichlid kid

Siamese algae eater availability?

I would give the algie eaters a miss

They eat the stuff when young but will soon grow and eat the slim of of ya fish

Removing scals and some time damaging their eyes

I would try flying foxers first if they don't work for you

you will still have some nice fish to have in your tank

Roo

I've seen posts on this subject in the past and "braddo" commented that rosy barbs will eat hair algae, being in a pond i think they would do pretty well, any aquarium that orders thru bay fish will be able to get siamese reals or flying fox sharks tho.

Siamese Algae Eaters are Siamese Flying Foxes, I used to keep them and they never attacked any fish (other than freeswimming fry) and did a good job of cleaning algae - however if they get used to protein based dry foods they'll slowly grow attached and forget about algae.

They're in pretty much every store too, and supplied by Bayfish.

What you want are Crossocheilus siamensis - Siamese Algae eaters or siamese flying fox.

Also called flying fox are Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus - these are not what you want.

We have lots of small SAE in store. They work well when small, but get lazy when really big. They do a great job on slime algae - not so good on the hair algae.

Try dosing the pond with a carbon source like Seachem excel or Azoo carbon. This can often help. I had great success on hair algae with Azoo algae remover, and they also make a beard algae killer.

HTH Jodi-Lea

If you are referring to black beard algae, it usually get a grow on because of high phosphates and high nitrates in the water. You should test for those as algae eaters won't be of much help is the water is unbalanced.

Once the water is back into good low nitrates, get some Florish excel and in the worst affected spots of BBA syringe a mill or so directly on the growth. It will kill it within a couple of days.

Siamese algae eaters once out of any green or brown algae to eat and getting to a fair size, may then commence grazing on plants. I found feeding cucumber once or twice a week will settle them from the eating plants habit. They are great characters though and well worth being a tank addition.

For a direct pictorial showing of the difference between the siamese, flyfox and chinese see

http://www.livefish.com.au/forums/viewt ... f=1&t=2277