tutters187

Keeping Neolamprologus Tretocephaulus with other species

Hey guys,

i have several trets in a 4ft (i know i need to move them LOL) with a few gold comps and some calvus and the trets can be SLIGHTLY agressive towards each other, but since i put the calvus in there he rules the roost!! Very funny to me that a fish like a calvus can have it over a tret/several trets with no worries hahaha!

As a community fish i find them way less agressive towards each other, still keep their territory (or try to with the calvus in there LOL)

Just wondering which species other members have kept them with?

Cheers

Stacey

Hi Stace,

My big male comp would readily rule the roost if it werent for the sheriff. She would be the big female julie. He would even dominate the attenuatus except at breeding time when it was not in the interest of his well being to go near the female attenuatus. I havent kept trets much, but had sexfats for a while a few years back, and they didnt really care for other fish. Could get bossy with one another, but not others. I kept the sexfats with all kinds over that time. Comps could similarly get along with most everything too. the only fish I found that would keep a feisty alto in line were v moori, big julies, cylindricus, and a female attenuatus I had once really didnt like altos, and would happily chomp on them when they came close. and the dhonti did a sterling job for a while there too. The dhonti are now the enforcers in with all the mbuna.The Altos seem to know well their armor plating and will readily use their highly effective defensive posture to their advantage. They are real poker players, and seem to relish calling the bluffs of other fish. They are quite entertaining. Fish that dont bluff seem to have their measure.

If your trets breed, the tables will turn :lol: .

Thanks Jason,

i was thinking about keeping spare V. moorii with trets when i separate the moorii pairs, but have a male gold comp with moorii and yes they are quite nasty but mostly because the V's are constantly trying to breed, hopefully i will get to breed the trets one day LOL

Will be moving the calvus and comps out into their own tanks hopefully sunday, and the trets inside into a 5ft, maybe even take out the dominant male and see how the rest go together :petrified:

And i have sourced some new tret blood from a well known source ( :lol::lol: ) and just have to save some money and will get a few smaller ones to grow up and hopefully add to the pack in a year or so and see what happens ;)

I moved the Trets into their own 5ft tank on sunday, and thought i'd have a go at venting them while i moved them... i think i know why they were scared of the calvus male... because i think they're all girls LOL, in the new tank now the biggest 1 gets bossed around by a smaller girl.

SO, if anyone wants to sell me a male around 8 - 12cm that'd be awesome LOL

They are doing well in there new tank a bit shy, but that's to be expected, and starting to keep their own territory.

These are awesome fish and i highly recommend other tang lovers to get into this species (not literally tho :lol::lol::lol: sick joke :sorry: )

Cheers

Stace