Kremit

legal requirements for fish ponds in Morton Bay Regional council

Hi Guys,

So I'm building a house at burpengary and eventually want to set up a water feature/fishpond in the backyard, I've had a look at the local councils website but can't seem to find anything in regards to doing this. Is anyone aware of restrictions for Morton bay regional council when its comes to setting up a pond?

I have looked over the Fisheries website and as far as i can see Keeping natives in it will be fine, but it does recommend checking with local council first.

Might have to call them, If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

thanks

Tim

Gday Tim,

Mate I believe your best bet is a phone call to the local council and Iwould also have all of your specs ready so you can both be clear on what is being discussed and will help in long term mate.

Good luck

Cheers

John

have a read in this thread, maybe you can pm the guy who works with pools, but i'd still call your local council to get it right the first time, from what i've heard ponds don't need fencing, but every council have there own laws.....

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/general-aquarium-discussion-19/friendly-safety-reminder-pools-ponds-58300/

We were told by brisbane city council that anything over 30cms needed fencing. A mate of mine was told 45cms. Whether this relates to a council by-law as opposed to Qld regulations, I don't know because other than a receptionist on the other end of the phone, I can find nothing related to it so mine is unfenced.

But...........As of July 2010.

Ornamental pools and water features FAQs

Q. I have a fish pond/ornamental pond. Does this need to be fenced?

A. No. There is no requirement to fence a fish pond or ornamental pond. The pool

fencing laws, contained in the Building Act 1975, relate only to swimming pools

for residential dwellings and class 2 dwellings.

What ever there decision is get them to email it t you so you have something to go back to should they try and change there mind.

Definitely pay to quiz your local council but it would make sense that council would not enforce fencing for fish ponds etc as they too would have to fence ponds and local waterways in all council parks.

Legislation

Some non-indigenous fish from other countries can be kept in Queensland without a permit as long as they cannot escape, such as in an aquarium or in a pond that will not overflow. See Non-indigenous fish - prescribed list.Non-indigenous fish - prescribed list | Primary industries & fisheries | Queensland Government

It is an offence to release or cause non-indigenous fish to be released (e.g. pond or dam overflowing) into Queensland waters. Fines of up to $200,000 apply. Additional penalties may be imposed for eradication measures.