sunnycoastcichlids

DIY Wet Dry.... Plastic Issue??

Hi everyone,

Just starting to build a little system in the garage and was thinking of making a wet dry filter out of various large containers from bunnings. I was just wondering if these containers needed to be made of food safe plastic or if containers made from recycled plastic were ok to use. I was told that the plastic may leech out toxins which kill aquarium fish. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Will

Jimbozed,

That is the same 210litre tub i am using. The 'fish tubs', did you get them from bunnings as well. I am setting up my wet dry just like your one in the picture but am also having a second large black tub connected to the first as a dosing tank for water changes and to give me more volume etc. I also read in your thread that you didn't need to brace the sides of the large tub. After twelve months have you needed to do this now? In bunings they just seem to look like they will bulge out at the sides.

Cheers

Will

the big tub bulged a little when new much like it looked empty, but never got any worse

i did however screw the bottom fishtub to the big tub to stop the big tub spreading.

i got the fish tubs from local tackle shop

another tub next to the main would be good as in the event of a shut down mine doesnt hold enough for a restart

i have little room inside but am considering an extra tub outside the wall