FishHeadSoup

Cloudy Water after installing Chemi-Pure

Hey guys well as the title states i recently purchased some chemi-pure and threw it in the hang on filter under the promise that this stuff would make my water crystal clear.

Followed the directions on the box got the right size and everything but the water now has a slight milkish white tinge... now i dont know if im being anal dont get me wrong its pretty good... its just not perfect as ive seen in other displays :(

oh been in there for 4 days now no change...

Thoughts?

Hey Scott,

That is quite strange? As you've seen in my tanks they are crystal clear, even after 5 months the Chemi Pure is still keeping it Crystal clear...

A couple of suggestions:

Did you rinse the CP bag until in ran clear before you put it in your filter? The product can have dust settlement after transit...

Did you clean the hang on filter contents before you placed it in your filter? If you didn't, perhaps clean out the hang-on media (sponges, bio rings etc) to ensure it is working with maximum flow - obviously leave your internal as is whilst you clean the hang on contents. (I've had this issue before where I've added it to an already dirty cannister, whilst good, it wasn't as good as once I had cleaned it all out and started with a fresh cann clean)

Did you happen to add Algae Rid or similar recently? Although the CP will likely remove this from the water, it can sometimes make your water look cloudy...

Is the inside of your glass clean? :lol:

Hope others might have some suggestions too... I still consider this one of the best products I've come across in the years of keeping fish so should be easy to rectify...

Todd

yeh thanks mate cleaned the filter 3 days before installing? thought it would still be sufficiently clean, directions said to give it a light rinse i did and there was still a fair amount of dust / charchol so i did it again tap water was running thru clean as...

only other thing i have added is melafix no algae stuff was gonna do a w/c and see if that helps oh and yes the glass is clean :P

Cheers,

No idea what the product is like personally, but if it's anything like Purigen it will cloud for the first day and then settle.

ahh yeh true i believe its a similar product but not re-usable like purigen dunno mate its been in there for a few days now but its not as bad as the first day ill see if i can take some pics tonight to give u guys a better idea as i said its not bad but its not perfect either :econf: its like someones tipped a cap full of milk in the tank just enough to notice or maybe im just looking too hard hahahahaha :roll:

Know idea what the product is like personally, but if it's anything like Purigen it will cloud for the first day and then settle.

ahh yeh true i believe its a similar product but not re-usable like purigen dunno mate its been in there for a few days now but its not as bad as the first day ill see if i can take some pics tonight to give u guys a better idea as i said its not bad but its not perfect either :econf: its like someones tipped a cap full of milk in the tank just enough to notice or maybe im just looking too hard hahahahaha :roll:

Purigen is a fine porous substance to capture chemicals by pass through where as Chemi Pure is an ION Exchange which consumes chemicals in an active sense. Purigen is recharged using bleach where as Chemi Pure is disposable after 6 months.

Here is the manufacturers link: http://www.chemi-pure.com/Chemi-pure.html

Just a side thought Scott - is your internal filter perhaps clogged or full? This would cloud the water if it was due for a clean...

Got any flatmates that might be tipping cap fulls of milk in your tank? LOL :lol: just joking...

Your water level dropped after putting Chemi Pure in too :esup:

Its not a thick and thirsty so just an observation...

There looks to be some foam etc on the water surface too. You note that you put Melafix in the tank - was that after the Chemi Pure? Probably not a good idea to add medications in with CP as it will attempt to 'eat it' and also Melafix seems to make extra bubbles in the tank from aeration - if I want a really good effect from my Hydrodor fizzers in my 6ft, I put a couple of caps of Mela in there - looks great lol... Does leave a little cloudy afterwards.

Waterchange bro and scoop the reciprocation (foaming bubbles accumulation) from the surface and from the corners of your tank. Turn down the air into the tank slightly if this is extreme.

ahh yeh sweet as the pics were about a week apart -didnt actually think to take a pic on the day as i was certain this would make it better not worse :lol: yeh had a day to go with the melafix so added that too -said nothing on the box about not adding stuff :?

will do a w/c and get rid of the bubbles and see how i go :egrin: thanks for the advice!! :eureka: