barracraze

WoW giant fighting fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok guys i went to a local fish shop today and saw a fighting fish that amazed me! it was a giant fighting fish i have never seen or heard of these guys until today.......the price was $60

if any knows about these guys i would like to hear more about them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yea and it was about twice- three times bigger than the normal ones

yeah mate,

the giant gene is a geneic mutation with the betta splendens species. they are easily spotted in a normal size parantage's spawn, but only if they carry the gene. if you do go to one of the more customer orientated shops down in sydney they sell for $30-45 depending on quality colour fins ect

Not to happy with her up marking.

I can agree with the price on the imports but when I take in a mediocre giant pk, that I bought for $20, and it was marked up to $95 and sold almost instantly astounds me. I don't know how to feel about the situation but I uses she does have to make a profit, but with an almost 500% markup had me worried.

bought a couple off her just because she had the one's i wanted

sometimes ya gotta pay to get what ya want.

i aint about to post the prices I have paid for certain specimens of normally cheap species in lfs around brisbane...... because me lady would read it and then kill me!

Fish are worth the $ you (and you alone) are willing to pay (so no one else can own them) at that point in time.

No regrets!!!

but then thats how I roll!

ya gotta give it up to a good salesman/saleswoman!

BEAKER are you 100% sure the fish pictured came through BayFish?

edit: well I'm guessing you know the fish you sold to Fishchicks came from Bay.

I know JL imports a lot of Fighters and Fancy guppies herself, rather than use wholesale importers such as AI or BayFish. As for the name used to describe the fish, what is fancy about it? The name simply describes where the fish came from (Cambodia), it's colour, and it's form; Giant (well it's a giant), Halfmoon (this describes the tail fin shape - halfmoon, as opposed to a crown tail or veil tail etc) and Plakat (term used to describe the short fin Siamese fighting fish developed from wild Bettas).

JL will often use far more descriptive names to describe many of her Bettas. This is so JL (and people buying through the youtube site) can differentiate between two bettas of the same type. For example JL may have two blue Super Delta Veiltail long fin bettas for sale, one may be listed as a Cornflower Blue S.D.V. betta for sale while the other is listed as a Saphire blue S.D.V. for sale. Simple descriptive names. When you click on the youtube link, JL's commentary will tell you it's a Blue Super Delta Veiltail long fin betta. After looking at both youtube videos you may decide you like and want to buy the betta listed as Cornflower blue, so you phone or email the store, ask it to be put on hold while you transfer the funds in to Fishchicks account. It's much easier for the shop assistant that answers your phone call to put a On Hold sticker on the tank with the name of Cornflower blue S.D.V. than it is for the shop assistant to walk out to the bettas look at two blue S.D.V.'s and randomly decide the one on the left is your fish.

As for the Giant PK you sold to JL, if you agreed to a price of $20, what concern is it of yours that it sold for a much higher price? Do you really think Fishchicks is the only store that does this.

I currently have for sale in the trader section, some Pelvicachromis Taeniatus "Dehane" for $30 a pair. I have quite a lot. One of QLDAF forum sponsors is currently selling some of the different types of Taeniatus for between $70 and $90 a pair (well I hope it's a pair, but it could just as easily be per fish. I didn't take a proper look at the price. Come to think of it, this store doesn't normally sell fish as pairs). Anyway, I had a talk to BayFish about Bay possibly buying the Dehane. I was offered $2 per fish, couldn't go higher. Thanks, but no thanks Bay. So how does my $2 fish, $4 a pair, become a $90 a pair fish in the LFS?

Edited by pk333

As i have worked in a retail fish store i do understand that a significant markup does occur, but as i had purchased the fish from my previous employer after markup when recived from bayfish i thought that almost $100 was a bit steep.

I do understand that with privatly selling and buying things are cheaper it just came as a shock to see an australian bred half good fish was marked up $25 dollars less than the more exotic imported giants that she does get in at times.

That i true what you have said about the markup and price offered by bay, but i guess that is why we as hobbists can keep ourselves and others going strong by avoiding the ever climbing price of fish in retail stores.

I'm just wondering if the ever climbing price in fish in LFS are just matching the ever climbing price in electricity. I don't know all the costs associated with running a LFS, but the continually rising cost of electricity has to be impacting on LFS, and not just at the store level. I would guess such costs would be passed on through wholesalers as well. We all would know how much our own electricity bills will have risen over the last 4 or 5 years, well imagine how it's been for LFS.

As for the name used to describe the fish, what is fancy about it? The name simply describes where the fish came from (Cambodia)............... *

* cambodian, does not actually = the fishes origin, that was merely a sneaky marketing ploy from way back. Turns out they were being bred on thai fish farms the whole time. These days cambodian refers to the purple/pink/blue pied colour morph. Similar to OB colour forms in most fish. Breeders refer to the " cambodian gene" and I spose thats the best way to describe what cambodian is, if not a location.

The pla kat kmer: a pinkish or white body with coloured fins (normally red) was the original Cambodian. This is a sub-group of the bi-coloured Betta splendens.

oh and anyone?

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=YxyVUlwi1YkC&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=betta+sp+plakat&source=bl&ots=Mr0_b7S2XG&sig=RJKYwK061IfZNLgPYOO_MAgnXOU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=AnOKT-b9MejtmAW7udDcCQ&ved=0CEcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=betta%20sp%20plakat&f=false

have a read

tis a cool book

Edited by DeadFishFloating

Thanks DFF. Obviously I thought it indicated the country of origin as many fighting fish are bred outside of Thailand these days.

Learn something new every day.

lol thats what they wanted people to think

Cambodia was having 'troubles' at the time

so because collectors were supposedly risking their.... heads....... to get the fish

from a war zone, they could charge lots of $$$$$

Oh, I'm not talking about wild caught fighters DFF. Are any Betta Splendens species actually found outside of Thailand in the wild? But there are quite a few betta/plakat breeders in Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam. You only need to look on Aquabid to see the number of splendens variants bred outside of Thailand.

I worked for many years in the Quarantine section of a wholesaler in Brisbane . That particular wholesaler just worked on a 100% margin - but I would see the same stock from the same batch at different LFS varying in price from double the wholesale price to even 4 x the price . I guess they just charge what they think they can get away with . Mind you there is losses to contend with and the like .