Jump to content
Hennessy

How did this happen?

Recommended Posts

Can adding a bunch of new Plants and driftwood to a tank cause an ammonia spike or kill fish for any other reason? The wood and the plants are 100% certified aquarium safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All great points/questions..... The wood was brand new but guaranteed safe from the company who sold it to me, and from my past experience with it...... And there were no ferts in the plants and almost no leaves died off at all....

Tested ammonia this morning - it was over 3ppm so I'm guessing the fact that I gravel pumped it much more vigorously than usual on Friday meant I stirred myself up a decent spike. The fish gasping in the cloudy water with milky small white floaties and stinky smell also gave it away......lol.

Couldn't get my hands on any EasyLife (my personal favoured "tonic") so had no choice but just to do a big water change and dose with Ammo lock and Nutrafin cycle (i know there are differing opinions about this product). Be interested to hear how either of you two would have dealt with it?

Edited by Hennessy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have water changed, then moved another cycled filter onto that tank and fed lightly for next few days.

Sounds like you had a filtration bacteria die off to me.

New filter? Cleaned in tapwater? didnt dechlorinate enough?

or was it left over food, an unseen dead fish, mass snail die off or a bad batch of water thru ya pipes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always found that if you are doing a bit of a plant/ scape tank move around then it is always good to have a lower volume canister do do my vac work or put a small power head in large bucket and have hose attached and use this to vac out and around scaped tanks especialy when they have not been moved for a length of time. Yes it may seem excess however less chance of high blooms and spikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braddo: The 5 buckets that I removed when I did the full service & re-scape looked a lot like a swamp and smelt a little - but then again it does every month on this tank. The main difference was that rocks and plants that hadn't been moved for a while got taken out and the entire bear gravel bed was gravel pumped.

It's a heavily stocked tank with very limited accessibility (through one side of the fixed hood!), so I'm sure most of you would agree that if it were serviced fortnightly instead of monthly, this could have been avoided.

Thanx for everyone's input, and DFF it was awesome to meet you today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep agree with dff here but also like to add is you have moved gravel that has been in place for a while. This creates a sulfar gas under things like rocks and driftwood. This is toxic. And would have added to your problem.

I know it is not a good thing but in a case like this you would be better of removing all the fish and about 95% of the water. In saying this it would create other problems if the replacement water wasnt identical in values.

Been a hard learnt lesson but one we have all made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...