I am relatively new to keeping cichlids and have bought hikari bio gold but have been reading and have learnt that mbuna are herbivores. Hikari gold is predominately fish meal and such and high in protein which can and probably will give my fish bloat. What other foods are recommended for this type of fish? I would prefer to keep to floating pellets if possible.

yeah I have noticed that in the tank it is like natural behaviour for them to scour rocks and have read that they predominantly eat algae and are herbivores but as for foods that work I just though i'd ask because a lot of people breed them on here.

Most of them graze from rocks and plants or eat plankton, if you check out the dvd or maybe try utube for it but it describes different mbuna and exactly what they eat in the wild.

I think you'll find that alot of members will feed them a varied diet and your pellets shouldn't give them bloat too easily.

I will deffinately try find it on utube when I get the change (went over my internet cap) I was only wondering because to me it looks like the dominant e yellow seems to have bloat (or just eats everthing). I'll wait for some others before I run out and buy some more food though, i'm sure if they've lasted this long they will be fine for a while longer.