Frank- Bundy

Advice needed stocking five foot display tank

I have a five foot tank and have colonies of electric blues and yellows in it at the moment. I am looking to add more colour different types of fish to the tank. I don't want to introduce any fish that are too aggressive and will cross breed with my current fish. If people could let me know what type of fish and how many of each you would introduce into this tank it would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing from you.

G'day,

First off what are the dimensions of the 5ft tank? 5x2x2, 5x18x15,5x1x1? This will affect what can go in there and also how many electric blues and yellows do have in there now?

With the electric blues in there it pretty much rules out all peacocks if you want to avoid cross breeding as the females are too similar. Personally I'd go with another mbuna species that isn't yellow/orange. Something like acei "tanzania" or "ngara" would look good or demasoni would work well in that mix provided you have plenty of rock work for them. Another favourite of mine is albino socolofi...

Hope this helps.

The size of the tank is 5x 18 x 20. At this present point in time I have 6 electric blues and 3 yellows. None of the fish are greater then 7 cm in size. I would love dearly to get more electric yellows especially females.

I have seen pics of melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (maingonos) will they suit my tank?

Keep ideas coming as they are much appreciated. Also, can you tell me who sells the fish that you suggested?

I'd definitely put some more yellows in there, another 7 or so would be good to get overall numbers to around 10. Maingano would be fine with the blues and yellows, again about 10 would be a good number.

There are a few guys on here who sell the acei and demasoni. Do a search in the Breeders Register for acei and demasoni and you should find a few. Doug (DFishkeeper) would be a good start as I'm pretty sure he will be able to ship the fish up to you too.