Sign in to follow this  
krazee_house

Keeping nitrite levels down

Hello,

I'm after some advise, i've been running a new tank for almost 3 weeks and had high nitrite levels on friday so i did a 25% water change added some stability and amtrite down .. on water testing today the nitrite level has gone down so i'm wondering what would be causing it, or is it just about giving time for the aquarium to establish itself?.

Also i'd like to know what the differences are between plecos and b/nose?

Cheers

Terae

it just needs time to complete it's cycling. keep doing what your doing now and it should be ok soon enough. there are things you can put in your filter to help. i have been using nitra-zorb in one of my tanks. but there is another thing by seachem i have been told about and have heard is really good but i can't think of what it's called. it begins with P so hopefully someone will know what i'm going on about lol

bristlenose can be bred quite easily in a tank due to the fact they only grow to abt 15cm

weras some plecos grow to more than 30cm and require mud/clay to lay in

Hey all,

darkangel thanks i thought as much but being a novice wasn't quite sure.. my fish seem very happy ..

ash thanks Can i add 'prime' to any type of filter? i'm running a aquaone power liquid filter..

mooch thanks i just love the look of the large pleco but at this point in time i'm not looking to breed just enjoy the scenery.

Thanks peppermint and pm sent

Cheers

Terae

Hey all,

darkangel thanks i thought as much but being a novice wasn't quite sure.. my fish seem very happy ..

ash thanks Can i add 'prime' to any type of filter? i'm running a aquaone power liquid filter..

mooch thanks i just love the look of the large pleco but at this point in time i'm not looking to breed just enjoy the scenery.

Thanks peppermint and pm sent

Cheers

Terae

Prime is what i have been recommended by all the best in the business And can be added to any tank (even salt). You add it to the water and is more of a "quick fix". It wont continually keep the bad stuff down but will make it alot better untill u can fix the problem. It is added to the water not the filter so it doesnt matter about what kind of filtration you use. I recommend not cleaning the filter for at least the next month and just doing your water changes per week and just add some prime when u do them.

I wouldnt be looking to clean your filter at all in the near future. Personally I think people clean there filters to often. I would only wash mine out about every 3-4 months, And probably 6month after setting up a new one.

Keep your feeding very light, try not to add to much chemicals to keep the nitrites down, and monitor the water daily, to me it sounds like your filter is not cycled yet and your tank could be alittle overstocked for the ammount of bacteria the filter has managed to build up.

Possibly instead of treating the end result of nitrite, get something like the following product to give your filter a boost.

http://fishsupplies.com.au/index.php?ma ... cts_id=648

Cheers,

Prime is a Water Conditioner

It can be added to any tank and will treat Chlorine Chloramine Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate

Grum You will have to watch your advice as what your saying depends on what sort of filter we are talking about

As your running an internal I would keep it be cleaning it approx every 2 weeks though make sure your only cleaning it in tank water

The Tank is still cycling hence the Nitrite readings

Stability would be the best thing to add as this helps the bacteria grow which in turn will help lower your Nitrite readings

Have you tested for Nitrate at all?

Brad

Hi there,

Thanks guys i was advised by LFS to put a capful of stability in each day for a week...

All my readings were fine except nitrite.

With each water change i have had improved readings with nitirite. I did another 10% water change again today and will check readings next few days.

Thanks for all your advise very much appreciated.

Cheers