mclovin

10 x 2 x 800mm display tank

so our 5 foot display tank sprung a leak, dropped a rock :/, so my dad (nickmcp) decided to fill the un-used wall with a 10 foot tank!

he has made the stand himself, it is not yet finished yet, and the tank was delivered the on sunday.

here are some pictures;

image-13.jpg

image-14.jpg

image-16.jpg

We are going to use lime stone as i believe it makes the water harder - perfect for malawis.

contemplating on either calcium carbonate or sand as the substrate.

The calcium carbonate as it raises the Ph level

The sand because it enables certain fish such as rostratus to sift through it like they would in the wild, and other fish like electric blues to see if they will make the crater like nests which they make in the wild.

ideas on lighting would be greatly appreciated, leaning towards hanging lighting from the ceiling - but what type of light...

and also what background to use? we are considering painting the back of the tank either black or blue or grey?

ideas, hints and constructive critisism would be greatly apprecitated.

Costs;

wood for stand - approx $300 (thus far)

Plumbing - $72.23

Tank with glass lids (with complementary polystyrene and delivery) - $1050

Sump - $250 (i think, cant quite recall)

cool, very nice................

i'd go with sand as you can pack the sump with stuff to harden the water and raise ph, and then if you change the tank stock you only have to change the sump and not the whole tank, but thats just me, :)

I don't think 1 32mm bulkhead would allow enough drainage for the amount of water you will want to push through this tank.

Apart from that it looks like a beauty! Good work!

I don't think 1 32mm bulkhead would allow enough drainage for the amount of water you will want to push through this tank.

2 more holes and if the BH is 40mm use 40mm hose end and pipe

FJ

2 more holes and if the BH is 40mm use 40mm hose end and pipe

FJ

we origionally intended to use 40mm hose but the biggest they had was 32mm.. might have to hunt down some 40 mm pipe.

and yes, another hole would allow drainage but would it necesarily allow more? like as in the sump will fill up at the same rate as it is pumping out water, the pipe will just be flowing quickly.. just a theory

thanks

cool, very nice................

i'd go with sand as you can pack the sump with stuff to harden the water and raise ph, and then if you change the tank stock you only have to change the sump and not the whole tank, but thats just me, :)

good point, i think were picking up sand tonorrow.

we have rostratus, placidochromis electra and blue dolphins; dont quote me on this but i recall reading this somewhere - the rostratus sifts through the sand and the electra and dolphins feed off of the debree. and if the tanks big enough the rostratus will form a crater nest.

if we get the chance to see all the things they do in the wild, thatd be great

Pretty much comes down to the flow rate of your sump pump. Which is generally determined by your volume of water.

If your drainage holes aren't big enough, the sump will empty and the tank will overflow.

If your pump isn't big enough, you might not get the cycles in your tank - all comes down to volume of fish as well though.

Check out some of the water volume flow rates which are on here somewhere - they basically estimate the amount of water that flows through certain hole sizes.

BTW - Nice job! :)

Pretty much comes down to the flow rate of your sump pump. Which is generally determined by your volume of water.

If your drainage holes aren't big enough, the sump will empty and the tank will overflow.

If your pump isn't big enough, you might not get the cycles in your tank - all comes down to volume of fish as well though.

Check out some of the water volume flow rates which are on here somewhere - they basically estimate the amount of water that flows through certain hole sizes.

BTW - Nice job! :)

there goes my theory out the window haha.

dont really want to risk drilling another hole and we were told a pump which is 3000-4000L/ hour. thinking an eheim?

and ill try get either 40mm pipe or even 50mm if possible

Water can only flow (the fastest) throug the smallest hole

You could have a 40mm BH and 2inch pipe it still can only flow as fast as the 40mm will let it cause it's not under pressure

You will need at least 2 more 50 mm holes for 40mm BH

I've found a 32mm BH handles about 2000LH so 3 40mm BH = about 7000LH maybe 8000

FJ

Hi mclovin

Tank and stand looks fantastic, Im sure it will look even better when its finished.

However, I have to agree with most others in that I dont believe you have enough drainage or flow rate. Drilling more holes is not a big job, suggest you get some one experienced in for a flash new tank like that.

May pay to do a little research and take the time to set up correctly, may save you some heartache and drama down the track.

Once again mate, looks good, now I wanna 10 Ft :egrin:

Brendan

ill have a word with my dad when he gets in from work about the holes

will probably be looking for a 600L/ hour pump. any suggestions on type/ brand?

thanks everyone