mclovin

10 x 2 x 800mm display tank

....Im not saying do it my way, but I hope the OP gets it right with a little research.

We all learn from making mistakes, but its awesome getting things right the first time from learning from others mistakes.

Wow, great size tank. I have to say that after planning my 8x2x2 for so long and reading for hours on end, I agree with the crowd.

Preferably as a minimum you would want a 10000lph pump (that will still drop substantially in flow rate through the 25mm return), and at least 2x40mm drains, then run a tee in the return line to adjust the flow rate back to the display (in case it is still to high flow).

The above is exactly what I am running in my 8x2x2 and even I believe a third 40mm bulkhead would be a wise idea. I do have an additional 25mm back up overflow, but hoping my two 40mm drains are sufficient, will report back once it is up and running.

If you simply can not or will not change your setup or drill a second or third hole you could try a 6500lph sump pump as a minimum, this will prob drop to 4000lph (possibly less) through the 25mm return, depending on the head height and pump used, which is IMHO to low, but will be 'ok'.

With that flow rate and assuming you upgrade your plumbing on the drain to 40mm pipe you will probably get away with it (assuming it goes into full siphon) but it's just too risky having just one drain and to hard to say 100% it will be ok.

Either way keen to see the end result and should be a nice African display once done.

I'm gunna throw some more weight behind the "not enough drainage" crowd. It's a massive tank, and presumably it's going to have a lot of fish in it, so filtration really is your top concern. Too many nasties are going to build up in your tank if you aren't turning water quick enough, and a single 40mm overflow just isn't going to cut it for the flow rates you need.

Also consider that with more overflows comes greater safety: If your one and only overflow gets blocked somehow, your tank will overflow. With multiple overflows, that won't happen, as the un-blocked overflows will simply pick up the slack.

I ran a 10x2x2.5 with 4x18x18 sump like yours. one 40mm drain and one 25mm return... Ran 10,000 lph from kenster

A gravity-fed overflow won't move 10,000 litres through a hole that size in one hour.

You say you had no problems with flow rate, but I'm betting you did: That 25mm return is one bottleneck, the head height is another. You were most likely getting a sub-5000lp/h flow rate.

Look forward to seeing this one set up, what an awesome size tank. Always err on the safe side of filtration you can't have too much the concquences of not having enough can be tragic. And I always have had two filtration sources in the past Sump & canister or canister and sponge with the smaller of the two on a UPS (Uninterruptible power supply ) so that if the power goes out one of your filters will hopefully get your tank through till the power is restored.

Are you going to make a background for it? I Just love the look of a natural setting.

Look forward to more progress photos.

Good luck

Jason

I for one have seen Paul's 10ft( ex 10ft now my mate has it now ) and can say for sure that he had a 10000 lph running and no probs just my two cents

Gavin

@Tanah4218

are you bleeding any off at the sump? Or is the pump pushing everything to the tank?

sorry for not updating this. been flat out woth year 12 - exams/ assignments galore..

tank is up and running with 40mm bulkhead - has created a syphon so works a treat. 7500lph return laguna pump but at the height it has to reach, works out to be 5500lph. also have a power head to make a current. cant think of the specifics off of the top of my head nor the brand.

will upload pictures when i get a chance. all advice appreciated, good to onow theres people out there to help

cheers

love your work mclovin ... will be interesting to see if the 5500 flow rate is enough for that sized tank - might come down to how much stock it holds.

Damn I wish I was in Grade 12 again ... care free and pimping out the olds lounge room with excessively large tanks :)

love your work mclovin ... will be interesting to see if the 5500 flow rate is enough for that sized tank - might come down to how much stock it holds.

Damn I wish I was in Grade 12 again ... care free and pimping out the olds lounge room with excessively large tanks :)

i like my tanks over crowded, frequent water changes will help control the parameters. i cant wait for achool to finish, so much effort hey. and this is my dads tank, hes been wanting an 8x2x800 for ages but mum agreed for a 10ft :D

Good to hear its up and running, get some pics up, keen to see the static water height in the display.

How about noise? Any further details on this is appreciated.

Good to hear its up and running, get some pics up, keen to see the static water height in the display.

How about noise? Any further details on this is appreciated.

there is a slight gurgle where the overflow sucks air from the waters surface, we have found a soloution by altering the vent which stops the fish getting to the sump..

Have you got an unmarried auntie. You don't find those genes everyday

Pat your dad on the back for a job well done

FJ

hahahaa

image-31.jpg

image-32.jpg

image-33.jpg

sorry for keeping everyone waiting, been pretty full on atm so havent had time for the forum recently.

hope you all like the setup as much as we do - thanks for everyones advice it was really appreciated

cheers, murray