goldenswimmers

How popular are Saratoga overseas?????????????

NO Im not looking to export...this is just GENERAL AQUARIUM DISCUSSION :)

I remember reading once how some of the arowana "clique" overseas also collected saratoga...think they sometimes called it a pearl arowana....think its in reference to the jardini and its pearl coloured spots on the scales....just wondering how saratoga are viewed overseas....and what people think about them as a member of the arowana brigade....I think saratoga rock personally and I know one day..I WILL have a saratoga playland......

oh and to spark some more convo...:)..can/has a saratoga been bred with another arowana(say silver for example) before??? Is it genetically possible?...

Yes they are fairly popular in America. I've even seen many write that they are preffered over the silvers over there.

In regards to the hybridisation between toga and asian/south american, it is not possible no. It has been tried MANY times overseas with large breeding facilities, both naturally and in labs, and has never been successful. It was concluded that they have too far separated genetically for this to be possible. Maybe some scientist will succeed with it in a lab one day, but for now no. (I worked writing papers on the Asians for the risk assessment system, did tonnes of research, read letters from big farms in asia, and we generally concluded that if asians were to get into waterways, they would never hybridise with togas). Unless there has been a change in the last few years I am not aware of.

This is one of my favorites and I wish one day I can have one but I know it impossible now because they bloody expensive. For now I don't really might keep one silver if I can afford it.

Arowana_Grade_1_Red_fish.jpg

By saying that, you never say never!!!

Last week on a very popular US forum I asked about a toga being a good tank mate for a particular american cichlid. The response was "what is a saratoga" my response like an arowana but native to australia, check google. they had never heard of it.

togas are mad fish they look like aros but dont come with the price tag of an aro and they dont get droop eye like asian arowana. i want to buy a toga =)

I thought 'togas could get droop eye as well.... ????

My brother went to Vietnam and said they sell 10cm one for Aus $10, only if we can import them here........Cheers

Its odd hey how some native fish are cheaper overseas than here in there natural enviroment...but then thats what extra large fish farms and cheap labour can produce ;)

togas are mad fish they look like aros but dont come with the price tag of an aro and they dont get droop eye like asian arowana. i want to buy a toga =)

I have personally seen togs with drop eye

togas can get drop eye, it happens when there is no substrate and the glass base is reflective. Since they are a mid-high to high strata swimmer, they spend alot of time looking down at themselves not realising that what they're looking at is a reflection and not prey. The other explanation is that they're just super vain... something i can relate to, so i'll lean to that theory ;)

true togas or even arowanas don't have a straight back, it's actually a deformity that has been breed into the species that has been prized by many collectors. there are some purist that shunt that practice. I personally join the thousands and prefer the straight back, again, probably cos i'm vain..

and no the lessons in this post is NOT that i'm vain...

and btw sarah. if they can breed spider/goats, i'm sure they can breed togarows ;) as with any creationalist/evolutionalist project (depending on which side of the debate you sit on) it's all a question of $$ budget..

Drop eye is extremely rare in Aussie Scleropages, bare bottom tank refection ? lol look into the top of a bare bottom tank there is no reflection another fishkeepig myth. Have an old rescued jardini she is 8 years old most of it with no substrate had methemoglobinemia, LLE and gill curl when I got her but no drop eye.

Drop eye is extremely rare in Aussie Scleropages, bare bottom tank refection ? lol look into the top of a bare bottom tank there is no reflection another fishkeepig myth. Have an old rescued jardini she is 8 years old most of it with no substrate had methemoglobinemia, LLE and gill curl when I got her but no drop eye.

yeah I was thinking drop eye might relate more to the fact they are not looking up as much for food sources(and maybe some bad genetics)....apparently saratoga are very adept at plucking insects etc off over hangs and even from the air in their natural habitat...also hence the crazy jumping ability and need for tough lids...