the cichlid kid

Dilemma with Eheim 2217 and Hydor 300W inline heater

Hi Guys,

I am slowly setting up a new 4ft display tank. I have an eheim 2217 and have purchased a hydor 300w. My problem is the outlet hose (where it is recommended to be installed) on a 2217 is 12mm and the hose connections on the 300w inline heater is 16mm.

So I have a two options:

1. Get a piece of 16mm hose, a couple of reducers and a couple of hose clamps and put the heater on the outlet hose. I am concerned this will have a considerable effect on flow.

2. Install it on the inlet pipe (which is 16mm already). My concerns here are the heater will be installed upside down (as the flow through the heater is only one direction) and I'm worried about it leaking. This application will also require the heater to be cleaned out more often as the water traveling through it is unfiltered but doesn't bother me. It will also result in a bit of heat being lost as it has to travel through the filter and back into the tank but again this doesn't bother me.

Any experience, input, ideas etc. appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Beau.

Bit of a dilemma Beau, if you went the 200 watt one it would be 12mm and will do up to a 200 liter tank - you say you have 4ft - is it 15" wide and high if so getting the smaller one might be a better option if you want to go through the sell the 300 watter and get the 200 watter but yes there will be a reduction in flow by increasing the size of the pipe.

Why would going from 12 to 16mm reduce flow?

Surely the amount of water returning to the tank will be the same (possibly a bit more due to less resistance), but the pressure may be reduced (less 'push')?

I know that the eheim classics actually flow more water without the spreay bar than with them (again less resistance).

I think the 2215 uses 12 mm in and out (same size)

Why would going from 12 to 16mm reduce flow?

Surely the amount of water returning to the tank will be the same (possibly a bit more due to less resistance), but the pressure may be reduced (less 'push')?

I know that the eheim classics actually flow more water without the spreay bar than with them (again less resistance).

I think the 2215 uses 12 mm in and out (same size)

Because it would take more force to to push it at the same rate. Get a small garden hose and turn the water on full and see how far it reaches then get a larger hose and do the same thing with the water. If you put lets say a coke bottle, you will probably have enough force to knock it over where as the bigger hose will not.

Because it would take more force to to push it at the same rate. Get a small garden hose and turn the water on full and see how far it reaches then get a larger hose and do the same thing with the water. If you put lets say a coke bottle, you will probably have enough force to knock it over where as the bigger hose will not.

Totally agree in your example, but it IMHO thats 'pressure' not 'volume'.

If it was to come out of the hose at the same pressure, it follows that you would need more volume to make up for the larger diameter.

But if you pump 1000l/hr through 12 or 16mm hose, would it be easier to do through the 16mm, as there is less resistance and also less pressure?

so larger diameter = more volume at less pressure

and smaller diameter = less volume at higher pressure

Totally agree in your example, but it IMHO thats 'pressure' not 'volume'.

If it was to come out of the hose at the same pressure, it follows that you would need more volume to make up for the larger diameter.

But if you pump 1000l/hr through 12 or 16mm hose, would it be easier to do through the 16mm, as there is less resistance and also less pressure?

so larger diameter = more volume at less pressure

and smaller diameter = less volume at higher pressure

Anymore input and opinions guys?

I pretty much have to use the 300W inline heater to heat my tank so which option should i go for?

In theory your filter will pump a maximum of 1000L/hr - a 16 mm hose will mean it can do this with less resistance than a 12mm hose so you may actually have more water moving - the flipside is you have less 'pressure' at the outlet - so less of a 'water jet' and more of a 'waterfall'.

So simply go from 12 to 16, then through the heater and into the tank (using 16 mm). If it bothers you, can go back to 12mm after the heater but this would increase resistance and reduce flow (i.e. L/hr).

Experiment and see how it goes.

I think bunnings have some nice reducers made for irrigation - you should eb able to find something there.