jvfvj

Red Devil diseased?

Hi,

I have recently purchased a female red devil and my first thoughts of some marks on her side were they were scuff marks from being beaten but they are not improving. The marks are white on her red body, and they look like bite marks with bits of scale hanging around them. They look somewhat infected, worried about it being cotton wool disease or something. Anyone have any pics of cotton wool disease they can show me? Have googled but could not find anythign with a clear picture. Her symtpons are hanging around in the corner of the tank, running away from light, hanging around the filter or heater, she also folds her side fins in to her body. She has recently bred and I wondered if it could be from the fry eating her scales. Any ideas, these red devils were my birthday present and do not want them to die. Thanks Jessica.

Suggest you take some picures and will be able to diagnose.

Is she by herself or with others. I would first of all hit her with a good general antibiotic. I hgad a fish beaten (real badly too) just recently and hit them with Wardleys Promethyasul - cleared up fish overnight.

HTH

Steve

Tank size is 3 and a half foot by 2 foot. Has her and her breeding mate in there, same size as each other and so far haven't seen much aggression just bumping around with his head. Ph levels are spot on, and there is 0 ammonia. It has nothing to do with the water levels in my tank because we only purchased the fish two days ago.

Seperate them - he is attacking her. The male wants to breed and she doesn't (or maybe blaims her for the loss of the fry).

Hit her with Promethlysol. To avoid fungus/ secondary infections.

I think your tank is too small and you will have problem I am afraid. Read this:

http://malawicichlids.com/mw01019.htm

Given that you now have the tank and the fish - and assuming you have no other tank - I would seperate tank with removable partition and when both are in good form remove partition - let them breed and as soon as they finish seperate again.

savageroo- Is that just normal kitchen salt, or an aquarium salt? I dont want to separate them because they have been togetehr and I havent seen him bite her much! So prefer to do what you have suggested.

they aren't exactly large fish yet, but we plan to upgrade to a 5 foot soon. They are between 15 and 20 cms atm. just having a look around for the right one. But regardless of the tank size, the male is not attacking the female like I already said, I know it is likely around breeding time he might start but atm he isn't.

try rock salt, any natural salt that doesnt contain iodine as table salt. around 5ppt or a antibacterial as the others said to keep bacteria/disease at bay. the marks will probably be perminant though as scale/skin damage usually scars up white and the pigment is never replaced.

cheers

mick

Hi,

I notice you didn't post any pics but thought worth mentioning that Red Devils are prone to Hole in the Head disease. The early stages of this appear as whiteish chunks missing with scales etc flapping around the wounds.

May or may not be that - check Google and search for Hole in the Head of HITH - known as HITH disease, very common in Red's and Oscars.

Cheers,

Todd

So far so good, we threw some salt in. Seems to have healed the hole in the side quite well, sparated the male and her by a barrier where she can get through but he can't. She seems to be healing quite well. Since starting her on the pellets when I got her, she had a lot of black come out on her body now she seems to be going a light orange with black patches that are slowly fading. It seems the male must have been sneakily beating her when we weren't looking because since the separation she is moving around the tank and more happy.