footlong carp

why is this happening? can some help

why is this happening? Ok since i have started using supachlor well ... i think it may be a qoinky dink but in the past 2 months or so i have lost 7 male bn's in 4 separate tanks with all different water parameters! but they have all been male ranging from 7cm to 12cm albino long-fins and common, i have scratched my head raw thinking why is this happening. 1x 6ft 8.4ph two lost

1x4ft 9.4 ph lost one

2x4ft 6.8 and7.0 lost four.

is it me or the female bns are getting to violent, most have been teamed up with females.

does anyone have any idea or previous happenings like this please feel free to reply.

cheers Alf

hi steveanjules i made the change from prime to superchlor and noticed my yellows became more vibrant and happier same for my ilangiz they look so much happier but mmmm i don't know the bn's why only the males??? or is it just a freak thing?

i use prime and have no trouble, haven't used supachlor yet,

i think ph of 8.4 and 9.4 seem to high for bn, and maybe 6.8 and 7.0 are to low? but i'm not 100% sure,

i really can't think why only the males would die,

Hi mines bigger

yes maybe the ph is too high but most have died in neutral ph their bn sett up.... i do use same nets for all tanks except for the illangiz tank inside but i have also lost two bn's in that tank too .

all other fish seem to be fine and breeding .......... now you got me thinking is there a disinfectant i can sit my nets in?

May seem stupid, but whats your temp? Last winter i forgot to turn my heaters on and was wondering why a couple of my BN's dropped off, then i slapped myself on the head and plugged em in lol. Sometimes it's back to basics.

That wouldn't explain only males though ?

Seph

I have done ph only in the bn sett up but all other tanks have had full test''' this has happens over at lest two months at first i thought bn's would die regularly like guppies but after the fourth one in separate tanks .....mnmmmmm...... :{ i purchased off tech.... i don't think it's the superchlor other wise my other male fish would be dead

got me stumped, but thats not hard, :) i do lose the odd bn, but not that many and not adults, only trouble i had was an ammonia spike, lost heaps, a whole tank full,

it might just be one of those things, but maybe look into worming them, ???? not much help am i,

Hey Alf, I supachlor with my BN's and have no issues nor have I had any deaths also use it with all my L-Numbers.

Any chance of some pictures of the tanks? Or pictures of the dead ones?

How long have you had the BN's for?

How are you getting the different Ph's for the tanks - what are you adding

Have you noticed and redness of their anus or red stringy things.

What do you feed the BN's

What do you feed the other fish in the tanks?

What other additives to you add to the tank.

Anything with copper?

Any snails that you have been trying to kill?

Any medications you have been using?

Agree Ph is too high for the BN's

Any chance of some pictures of the tanks? Or pictures of the dead ones?i will post picts of tanks soon but dead ones i have no more

How long have you had the BN's for? 3 maybe 4 months

How are you getting the different Ph's for the tanks - what are you adding the 6ftr is malawis the 4x2x3 is illangiz both useing seachems tang and malawi buffer and the other 4ftrs are bn settup at 6.8/7phi use ph down ....don't remember the name

Have you noticed and redness of their anus or red stringy things.yes the second death my large albino 12cm male in the bn settup had a slight re blemish around anus and he was quite bloated

What do you feed the mainly BN's hikari wafers ,occasionally pumpkin, zucini broccoly and if they are good they get sweet potato

What do you feed the other fish in the tanks?in the tangs and malawis mainly spirulina flakes and bits and

What other additives to you add to the tank. non

Anything with copper? no

Any snails that you have been trying to kill?no

Any medications you have been using?

Agree Ph is too high for the BN's

i know it's not the supachlor because i use and trust it on my yellows and ilangiz, but why only males are dying?

First thing I thought of was that perhaps the BN's were eating high protein foods which makes them bloat like bloodworm or something meaty or carnivorous. Why males well because they are dominant and would be first in line.

Red Around the anus might be a worm or parasite issue.

Have a look at this thread and see if you notice the same things with the BN's

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/diseases-fish-care-water-discussion-12/help-me-kill-camallanus-worm-8706/