CrayonBox

Advice on a Barra in a Pond

Ok so basically mothers day is coming up and mum keeps telling me she is sick of seeing her pond being empty (it sprung a leak so all of her GF had to go so it could be repaired) so i thought i would buy her a barra :D but i need some advice on the whole pond thing considering it doesnt have a heater. The pond is about 9ft x 4ft x 2.5ft (LxWxD) and it has a shelf on the left side which means the dept there is about a ft. Also feel free to recomend anything else if you dont think a barra will fit. ( i know it wont fit for ever but then i have excuse for bigger pond ;D)

Gday mate

Can you keep a barra in that size pond?? yes but only for a short time and then will need to go deeper and bigger and also need to look at having either nets on top or high raised sides to compensate with barras jumping out.. As beaker said there are other options you could go for and also less hassle but if you do go the barra my thoughts would be bigger the better to house them and much more rewarding.

Cheers

John

Either way mate keep us posted and put up pics of the new pond and lay out.

i dont think that the perch would be to fussed about the heating of the pond.

you could put an eel tail cat in there, maybe some fast little rainbows OR silver/ jade/ golden perch

whatever you put in the pond be sure to put some green wireing (flexible stuff) over the top.

and yoda, there is a list as to what species you can stock in an outdoor pond, you are allowed to stock oscars but not red devils mate

and yoda, there is a list as to what species you can stock in an outdoor pond, you are allowed to stock oscars but not red devils mate

I think that list is stupid.

Oscars but not RDs? what?

As far as I know there are probably more wild Oscars in Aus than RDs.....

I think that list is stupid.

Oscars but not RDs? what?

As far as I know there are probably more wild Oscars in Aus than RDs.....

yeah mate hahahaha

no point trying to make sense of what the dpi says/does, never works out