ive been going through old posts/threads getting an idea for my sump and ive been aqua balls come up a fair bit so my question is are they just the ones used for aquaponics? like on this site CANNA Aqua Clay 45ltr - $29.50 : H2GRO Hydroponics (not sure if im alound to post that site. sorry ifnot) and would also like to no how your rate it again other media ie scoria and what not. thanks in advance

i used it for one of my tank setups. but i crushed mine up a little to open up the clay to expose some of the pores. comparing to matrix its awesome considering the price.

exactly i like the $$ difference but how does it compare in performance as such compared with others

Edited by guest 11

are you talking abuot performance? i havent got to that stage yet. altough the system is stable i dont have a bio load to water ratio high enough to really help. also should mention, they are designed to drain water so they float. i had them in water since christmas and only now has the last one actually sunk to the bottom of the sump.

aquaclay is a good product but matrix smashes it in biomedia growth. that being said i use it. in my experience it takes a longer time for bb to establish on it. this could be that its harder to colonise.....or that different strains that do colonise it take longer to establish. in any event it can be used aslong as other medias are used as well HTH ;)

aquaclay is a good product but matrix smashes it in biomedia growth. that being said i use it. in my experience it takes a longer time for bb to establish on it. this could be that its harder to colonise.....or that different strains that do colonise it take longer to establish. in any event it can be used aslong as other medias are used as well HTH ;)

Yeah I have 6L of matrix but am looking for a cheaper option. Do u recommend making the bigger investment in matrix for the long run

Yeah I have 6L of matrix but am looking for a cheaper option. Do u recommend making the bigger investment in matrix for the long run

matrix is the better media but i am of the belief multiple sources of media should be used. i use scoria,aquaclay,matrix,glass and ceramic noodles,jap mat,scourer pads purigen and dacron. never use only one type of media or feed only one type of pellet and ya cant go wrong :)

aqua-clay is awesome for aquaponics grow beds, it really is awesome.

but as far as filter media goes....... I think even the standard combo of sponge and glass/ceramic noodles is far superior.

horses for courses.

heck bioballs are great in bio-towers

and eheim media is awesome for those times when ya need to max surface area in a tiny volume.

Thanks for your input I'm getting a 5x15x18 dump made up at the moment and I'm trying to find the best combination of media,

use some k1 in the first chamber then a mix of media from there. cant go wrong. i like atleast 5 passes (baffles) in my sumps for 5 different media types

use some k1 in the first chamber then a mix of media from there. cant go wrong. i like atleast 5 passes (baffles) in my sumps for 5 different media types

So you recommend k1 instead of jap mat and fine spOnge in the 1st compartment?

So you recommend k1 instead of jap mat and fine spOnge in the 1st compartment?

yes. you can use a "filter sock" before the first compartment if you wanna be devoid (for the most part) of particulates. k1 is designed with massive surface area and is used by some pond keepers as the only source of bio media. my top 3 filter medias are k1,matrix, purigen. jap mat, sponge etc do have their place but are easily clogged. k1 is self cleaning and with the use of a filter sock, matrix and purigen you end up with a mimimal maintenance sump ;)

Edited by tuffy_rana