samo

What substrate do you use?

Hey guys,

Not 100% happy with calcium carb so thought I'd ask the question to see what else is out there. Below is the sort of info I'm looking, thanks in advance :)

What substrate:

Colour:

Density:

Advantages:

Disadvantages

What fish do you have in the tank with the Calcium Carb ??

Why for are you not happy with it ??

I use it in my fronnie tank and they love it. I only have it covering half the tank at the moment until i can get my hands on some more.

My gourami tank is just some black and dirty red gravel about 4mm to 6 mm i spose. I then use big sand stone rocks to break it up a bit.

It comes back to personal preference as to what you think looks good.

=)

i have seen some black sand it does raise the ph and has the same effect as cal carb. but is black, the fish stand out nicely and it has a little twinkle to it if i remember correctly

its a great sand

I use Margaret River sand in some tanks. Really a very fine gravel substrate.

alanquer1.jpg

Other tanks I use a very, very fine white sand substrate.

006-9.jpg

And some tanks I have just spray painted the bottom blue and have no substrate.

002-2-1.jpg

Aqua One Black Silica gravel 1 - 2 mm 10kg | eBay

this is what i have in my african tank, really makes the africans pop. old photo but gives u an idea. Will try get a pic of tank at the moment later today

IMG_1819.jpg

This is an inert substrate so u will need to buffer your water. Also not real good to have sifters with this substrate as being silica it is a little sharp

Looks great but might not work for me heh. I like the substrate buffering :) makes life easy and I've got a fair few catfish that like to dig around through the substrate, wouldn't want them slashing themselves up