I had been looking at this mystery Malawi for the past 2 weeks in the LFS. He was in an asssorted Malawi tank and no one knew what it was and since I could name every fish in that tank appart from this guy I had to buy him just so I could identify it.

Now there being soooooo many diff species in the lake google just doesn't cut it on this one so I have turned to the forum to help ID it.

My observations: The fish is only around 6cm and believe it hasn't coloured yet. It has 3 obvious spots down the side and a fine fringe of yellow that starts from black on the dorsal fin. See pic below

small9655.jpg

Any ideas or positive ID is more than appreciated

Cheers Guys

Edited by fish4fish3

It does seem to be an Otopharynx of some sort. I'll just have to wait now to see if it colours up or not to be able to verify this species exactly. It does seem to have a blue tinge to it but it could be just the lighting.

I knew it was special and always believed a good buy for $20 being from the LFS and especially from around here where prices start from $20 for a 3cm Elec. yellow

I think it may be a matter of wait and see as the dots seem to be more round (copadichromis ) than oval ( Otopharynx )

but the yellow in the dorsal seems to be more Otopharynx than copadichromis

It's deffinately not Hybrid as I got it from Petbarn and they get there fish from the big mob in Vic. They won't buy any ones fish I tried.

It's a toss up between the two and only the fish knows. We'll just wait and see for some colour.

Cheers every one for the input so far and keep it coming as I'm really interested in every ones input