Hi all, Just thought I'd post up a few photos of my latest project.

I gravel vac my tank weekly and I have to do it into buckets because when I attach 15 -20 meters of hose to run the water outside the flow is to slow to effectivly vacum.

Solution, get a bigger hose. Some notes and piccys below, some of the pics are "dummied"

as the job was completed a couple of weeks back, but you should get the idea.

So, bought a new 16" vac.

SuperSucker0021024x768.jpg

Then I bought this 20 mm fitting from the local pumping and irrigation shop.

SuperSucker0031024x768.jpg

SuperSucker0041024x768.jpg

SuperSucker0061024x768.jpg

Just fits

SuperSucker0161024x768.jpg

Then bought 18 meters of 19mm hose

SuperSucker0171024x768.jpg

Just a comparison with the normal 13mm hose

SuperSucker0181024x768.jpg

Attach the hose and ...... Happy Days

SuperSucker0191024x768.jpg

I have used it a few times now, works really well, my tank is in the middle of the house, now I just run the hose outside and the Vacum works perfectly over that distance with the bigger hose.

Note: When I say "perfectly" it sometimes can be a little to good, I have a reasonably small grained substrate and if I'm not careful, It would suck it out the hose. As I said, I bought 18 metres of 19mm hose, If I could do it again, I'd get 20 metres. I think the extra 2 metres would slow down the flow that little bit more and then, it would be perfect ......... For me.

See ya

Brendan

Edited by Mackayman

Guest SFJ

If you put a Plastic irrigation tap between syphon and hose you can control the flow rate or completely stop it without losing suction.

We do this at work.

Guest SFJ
Thats gotta be the best idea ever :D

Brendan

It makes life so much easier. Then you don't have to keep priming your syphon!

Give it a go so worth it!

If you put a Plastic irrigation tap between syphon and hose you can control the flow rate or completely stop it without losing suction.

We do this at work.

Well I took SFJ's advice, see below, pleased with the result. Thanks SFJ.

Bought this irrigation tap from Bunnings along with a metre of clear 19mm tube.

11024x768.jpg

Connected it all up

21024x768.jpg

Works a treat, can just shut the tap when lifting the syphon out of the water and over the bracing to the next "compartment", reopen tap and the syphon will pick up again.

31024x768.jpg

Out into the yard it goes, looks a bit like one of raycams rat munchers :-)

41024x768.jpg

Brendan

Edited by Mackayman

Well I took SFJ's advice, see below, pleased with the result. Thanks SFJ.

Bought this irrigation tap from Bunnings along with a metre of clear 19mm tube.

11024x768.jpg

Connected it all up

21024x768.jpg

Works a treat, can just shut the tap when lifting the sypon out of the water and over the bracing to the next "compartment", reopen tap and the sypon will pick up again.

31024x768.jpg

Out into the yard it goes, looks a bit like one of raycams rat munchers :-)

41024x768.jpg

Brendan

excellent thread mate...and jaypee, theres your answer on that beautifully clean shed...its hidden in that trailer lol.

Edited by aquaaddict
ooppsie

lol but look at the rest of the yard!! How the hell does he keep it so clean EVERYWHERE?? lol.. :) Great thread :) was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to siphon tanks basically on the floor? I always have trouble cleaning tanks on low shelves, would this diy help solve that problem any?

lol but look at the rest of the yard!! How the hell does he keep it so clean EVERYWHERE?? lol.. :) Great thread :) was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to siphon tanks basically on the floor? I always have trouble cleaning tanks on low shelves, would this diy help solve that problem any?

it helps if the extra hose length lets you get to somewhere lower.

my house is on a slope so I run mine into the backyard and the end is like 6 foot lower than the tank

so it flows fast