goldenswimmers

New fry culling machine...

I'm hoping we "bond" and the signs are good so might start saving now for a new tank (has a big one to play in for the time being)..these guys can live to 70yrs(imagine ...a fish that outlives you:)) and can reach almost 6ft...hello MFK :) the more I read abouth them the sexier they are...apex predator..Oz's biggest TRUE freshwater fish & one of the biggest in the world...really reckon these guys are underrated...dud baby goldfish recycler numero uno :)

they are a lot faster than they look mate

yeah Donny...looks like these guys were pretty misunderstood (probably lack of reliable info)....now viewed more as an apex predator and to live more in the river channel than previously thought even the fry(previously thought to live on flood plains)...I imagine they'd have to have some "oomph" :) ....

wondering about this shyness they can get(plus it would just be natural for them to like to chill in a log anyways)...mine seems real personable...likes to go hide but seems to want to be out and about more when Im around(obviously food is on the mind)..wondering if they get a bit more "reclusive" as they get older....

yea its a sea star lol

the reason people who keep murray cods defend them as being good pets

is soley because

they recognise their owner and feeder

and come out to say G'day to them.

believe it or not

the same is true of bullrouts after a few years

but anyone else that sees it

is often all like

"does it do anything?"

altho thats often only said to provoke ya into feeding the beast lol

guess one of those fish you either love or think "whats the deal?"....reckon they do have some personality though...I reckon anything that can live for a century has to have something going on....seen it messing with snails but not the same way a goldfish or some of my cichlids do...its like a puppy...like it s entertainment...loves to feed but doesnt have a look about it that says "all I do is feed and swim now clean up my sh*t" :) ..I think dempseys have a bit of personality and obviously alot of fish do...sounds like people sleep on these guys a bit though...Ive always thought they were pretty cool and had better markings/colours than most other big natives(barras etc..unless they were albinos/platinums or lungfish...dig lungfish:))..I dig the really nice leopard style pattern the youngsters have and it should get lighter and still look nice when bigger as it does when they are in clear water(which is pretty much your aquarium enviroment so perfect)plus being a strictly freshwater monster its a bonus when considering my other set ups as far as water changes go etc.......how big did your murray get Donny?...any tankmates?? understand if not :)

goodoo are loads of fun !!!

when i owned my bait and tackle shop in 92 i had a murry in a 8x3x3 that was built in the wall when i bought the shop (was filled with 30cm bass )

we scaped it like a new england creek with plenty of snags and even had a few large lures driven in the wood by the hooks

he would eat $50 worth of goldies everyweek !!!!

whilst he was in the tank solo he was a little sooky , but once we threw a few catties and couple of yellowbelly that were too big for him to eat he became alot more social

we also threw a swag of bobby cod in there but over time he smashed them :)

when we sold the shop in 96 he was 55cm and would take whole pillies from my fingers and would come up for a chin scratch

what size were the yellowbellies?...just wondering how to factor in this guys tank mates..Ive heard of them eating stuff almost the same size as them :) not to mention bein territorial fellas... I was going to keep him on the solo but just thought getting your only entertainment from feeding time and prodding snails...probably wont be long til he does turn sooky :) maybe grab some guys now that are bigger so shouldnt be a problem...at least until he catches up :) good idea?

$15 well earnt dollars...reckon thats a super bargain for something that can turn out so big and entertaining as a pet fishee goes...but definitely have to be prepared to house a giant...I got him rollin solo in a 5 x 3 big triangle(500lt) at the moment and hes about 15cm but would definitely look at a tank along the lines of what procull mentioned for the future...