Sebastian

Building insulated room in my garage

As the winter drops in i want to build a 4x4m insulated room in my garage and heat the room instead of my tanks.

thought i just build a frame made of 70x35mm structural pine and use insulation sheets/foil or whatever instead of gyprock.

would also need to build a ceiling as i have to stay under the garage door.

Any help/info would be much appreciated as im pretty much clueless at this stage.

Just read about kingspan aircell in another thread but i dont know which produkt to use for my project or where to buy that stuff. Also dont want to spend too much.

cheers sebastian

Hi sebastian,

For the best insukating properties use gnr green board poly styrene sheets comes 4m long x 1.2m wide and 100mm thick,liquid nails and screws to suit,in the process of doing this myself,cheap as chips @ $60 a sheet hope this helps.Murray

instead of gyprock use blue board or normal ac sheet, and paint several coats of quality paint with anti mould additive added to it. Between wall surfaces use ceiling batts, dont use wall batts cos they have a lower efficiency ( you could but i didnt ), and you done. Cheap yet efficient way IMO. Next problem you will encounter is humidity but an exhaust fan will help provided you only use it in the day so not to drag cool air inside, a timer helps here.

I also dont use a room heater in my 6x3 room. i use 1 300w jager in one system and it heats the rest of the room, system runs at 24 and unheated tanks run at 23 and thats in winter. Oh and FYI system is 2700L and there is 6 2.5x18s a 2 footer and 2 200L tubs not on the system

What about foil ? At the tafe I work at they have all walls & roof lined with this thick foil ? To help insulate the work sheds do you guys think that would be enough ? When my sheds up was thinking of using it & I only wan2 run a oil heater in the center of the room & maybe a normal 300w heater for my frys system . ??

Any advise welcome