I have a mature female green molly that I raised from a baby, along with 5 others. They are all now adults and living in the same tank.

When I got home from work tonight, there's one on the bottom of the tank perpetually swimming around in a circle. I netted it out and lay it flat in the palm of my hand. It tended to curl up in one direction and even though I could easily straighten it out, once back in the water it curled up and swam in a tight circle.

I fear it won't last long as it can't move in any direction and hence eat, etc. It's now 11pm with the lights out and all the fish are dormant...except this one: still swimming fairly fast in a tight circle.

I accept it's not long left in this world, but any ideas as to what has caused this? My fear is it is a parasite or something that may affect the other fish in this tank.

Anyone?

Edit: Apologies - I just realised there is a livebearer forum this would be better in, but I can't move or remove the post. Sorry.

Edited by Lasher
Wrong Forum area

Thanks - although mine is swimming upright, in a tight circle chasing it's tail, with no sign of bloat.

With the light off I shone the torch in and she's now at rest on the bottom of the tank (either now swimming, or stuck against a plant) :-P

I'm not worried about losing this fish, more worried about the cause, and possible affect on the others.

Hey lasher :)

I don't know the answer to you to problem but I did a bit of googling and most people say this is caused by ammonia poisoning so if you have a test kit maybe you could do one and post the results. In the disease section there's a template you can use when asking stuff like this which makes it easy for members to help you :)

I'll no way your thread into that section too ok :)

Death spins - I doubt she will last!

The question is why?

We need full water test, as a minimum pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, how old is the fish?, were the fish gasping for air, are the fish fins held against the body, any physical or behavioural changes will help give an idea what we are looking for.

Hey mate ditto what ginger said. Any changes in any of the fishes behavior at all can be indicators. Have they been stressing lately? Have you added any chemicals or buffers recently? The more info the better.

How are they this morning?

I'll do a full water test when I get home tonight, and post results. Although I'd be surprised if that was the problem, I do weekly water changes and haven't had a death for months.

All other fish are fine, and she's still alive this morning. She's lodged herself on the bottom between some plants to stop the circling.

Stay tuned...

UPDATE: I put her out of her misery last night (to the freezer she went).

I tested the water tonight and nothing outstanding:

Ammonia: 0.2 ppm (I was expecting 0)

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 40 ppm (none of my tanks have ever gotten less in the past 12 months)

pH: 6.8

A shame really, she was about to drop a school of fry...

Usually caused by bacterial infections. Pathogenic bacteria travel via optic nerve to cause meningitis. Probably random bad luck, but if it repeats, look at general hygiene.

I've heard so many different reasons why fish do the death roll, am yet to be convinced on one set cause but the fish rarely survives. Doing 10% water changes/week with prime and that alone should help reduce the chances of anything bad happening.