Can you goldfish people tell me the names of the 'normal' ones and the 'fancy' ones and if we can get them in australia....

I know

Ranchu

pearl scale

comet

black oranda

ryukin

fantail

lionhead

shubukin

oranda

I know im missing some and I dont know whats classed as what.

Shubunkin and comet aren't "fancy" ! Fancy is kinda like the short ones with not just a single tail from my understanding..

Yeah I wanna know which ones are classed as fancy and which aren't. Would like to put together some info for members about each species and their identification etc :)

So help me mat!!!!!! :P

send goldenswimmer a pm, :) him and matt ^^^ seem to be the ones here that know the most,

Yeah I was going to but now we also have fancygoldfish who's passionate about them aswell so I thought I'd open it up so I can get input from everyone :D

Ranchu

pearl scale

comet

black oranda

ryukin

fantail

lionhead

shubukin

oranda

All the ones you mentioned are fancy other than the shubunkin and the Comet.. There are also many other types and different variations like the different country's versions of each.. The single tail thing is only a very rough kinda guide as you can have single tail variations of fancy fish.. The reason fancy goldies arent kept with their longer skinnier friends is the normals swim quicker and out compete the little fatties for food.

Edited by Matmatmat

You can have some very fancy comets and shubs, although the shape may not be "fancy" the colour strains can be amazing. There is just no market here for anything nicer than a mirror scale or bristol comet (although there are some nice ones to be found)

There are Tancho (long tailed) Comets

Broad Tail Comets

Pearl Comets

I wish there was a market - it would be a great substitution for koi

Wont be easy relle seperating fancy strains from the non-fancy....one mans trash is another mans treasure...but generally speaking...the further away from the "wild" goldfish genotype you get...the more its considered fancy...some think anything with double tails starting with the fantail(as wild goldfish are single tailed...like carp)are considered fancy...as Pcity mentioned though nowadays breeders have worked with comets,etc and you can also get single tail ryukin(tamasaba) amongst other single tailed variants....I'd almost say anything not basic coloured and/or single tailed would be considered a fancy..but thats just my opinion...basic colouring being bronze(natural wild colouring) and the orange/red variant that attracted original variant breeding in goldfish over a century ago...its like saying show dog or non show dog...so many different types...

As mat mentioned too..their are different types specific to countries too...osaka ranchu for instance(japanese and produced in Osaka..go figure aye :)) and blue phoenix tailed egg fish considered a chinese treasure and almost lost to the hobby until a few were bred and sent to the US to help get more stock going...bit of a similar story with tosakin(once again produced from a certain area in japan)...youv'e even got the thai black ranchu which are not accepted in some breeding circles(mainly the japanese)as a legitimate variant(they clearly are)...I reckon you could run a basic list though and maybe just detail difficulty in keeping...a comet is considered hardy whilst a lionhead would not get a look in for food if surrounded by comets so could be considered more work to care for as with ranchus and having to watch the diet fed etc...avoiding heavy currents with filters etc...or maybe have rare and common...there are rare goldfish variants that exist but are rarely seen outside their country of origin..izumo nankin..jinkin(with proper colouring) and as mentioned earlier the phoenix tail egg fish...

just my opinion but I reckon in a basic group format(more fancy variations exist for most)you have:

comets

shubunkins

fantails

wakins(not that common but a bit more common than other rare varieties)

ryukins

pearlscales

orandas(black is just a colour variation..oranda being the variety)

lionheads

ranchus(side view....we dont get top view here)

and then theres the eye guys :)

celestials

black moors

bubble eyes

butterfly pandas etc

this being the majority of what we see here...it gets "deep" if you look into the rarer varieties that pop up from time to time plus variations such as the pom poms etc which can also occur on different varieties eg ranchu with pom poms etc(but these are once again the rarer guys)...also short tailed,long tailed,broad tailed,veil tailed(rare if ever seen here) and then the colour variants(ha ha :))....including blacks,blues,whites,calicos plus others :) think of flower horns with a longer history so more variants and isolated genetics.... :)

My fave rare guy...if you see him at the local city farmers...msg me for your financial reward :) ha ha

Izumo Nankin

10035280551.jpg

yea ok

thats awesome

personally I want a better grade one of these

panda%20oranda.jpg

needs to have a black head and wen

but a body mostly white

with a few random big patches of black

and a groovy tail.

most I see are too much black on body

and too yellow on face

Edited by DeadFishFloating

fancy goldfish

ranchu tvr/svr

ryukin long and short tailed

lionhead

oranda chinese/thia breeds wen(head growth) looks different

pearl scale (tikus)

crowned pearl scale

pompom's

moors

butterfly moors

celestrial eye

bubble eye

wakin

lionchu

demekin

tosakin

jikin

eggfish

comons

comets

shubunkins

fantail

pretty sure that's most of them, there are a few unofficial breeds out there but they aren't stable enough to register them yet

ommons

Nice link.

I found this there which I think explains why some goldfish are so expensive. Compared to a few years ago.

China as the birthplace of goldfish,years has been feeding the old generation to generation.In recent years, learning, learn new farming techniques and help of modern technology. Chinese goldfish in color, shape it more perfect. However, due to export restrictions, and information distribution medium low. Many of the new varieties, the best foreign player of the goldfish is difficult to understand.

China's annual exports decline in goldfish, of which there are many reasons. However, the maturity of China's domestic market is also an important reason; businesses have turned to the domestic sales target. Common species has been so popular in recent years, more well-known preference for the domestic players is more traditional, more primitive varieties of goldfish. Price is way up (such as: types of egg goldfish, egg kind of Phoenix tail )! More new varieties of goldfish to low production and new body is also deeply attracted many players (such as the Oranda with Butterfly type, Ryukin with Butterfly , etc.)! Because production is low, retail prices high; these new varieties of goldfish are rarely understood by foreign players.

As China's rapid economic development; land resources of the rapid tension. Goldfish farms has drastically declined in recent years. Goldfish farms in recent years actually decreased by 65%. With the rapid growth of aquaculture and other cost reasons; rising price of Chinese goldfish. Breeders have breeding new varieties of high quality goldfish, the main target is to have the economic strength of the domestic players. The near future the development of Chinese goldfish will be supplemented by exports and domestic sales based; sales target set: those for high-end consumer; the luxury watch consumer goods. For large scale farming declining scale farming, small or courtyard burgeoning aquaculture.