The new piece of driftwood I picked up last weekend is a floater :(

I've asked the people I got it from what kind of timber it is but haven't heard back as yet. Any tips or ideas of how long it will take to sink, if it'll sink at all?

It is a very solid piece of timber & quite heavy

post-3460-14711626591437_thumb.jpg

This is what I do.

Get a nice flat bit of slate and with a sharp masonry drill bit (the bosch bits with blue drill flutes are the best) drill two small holes in the centre without using the hammer function, otherwise the slate will break.

Whilst not in the tank, position the drift wood on the slate and secure it with some fishing line to the slate.

Put it in the tank and cover the slate over with your substrate,

Tada, no floater :)

Brace yourself... it could take a couple of months to become sufficiently waterlogged to stay underwater of its own accord. You will certainly aid the process by weighing it down so it is fully submerged at all times (Ash's method is excellent).

You may be lucky and have it only take a few days, but it could be several weeks. Good luck, it looks like a great piece so it will be worth the wait to sink it properly.

yea that wood is too fresh to be a fast sinker

as mentioned

it will be worth the wait

expect the tannin output to increase as it gets closer to sinking.

I usually put pieces like that in water filled 200L plastic drums and then put a lid on them.

Always cool the day ya take the lid off and the thing doesnt bob up and try an take ya face off!

Kristy

Some timber takes years to sink.

I had a very nice piece that took over three years before it sank on its own.

In the mean time I attached a sheet of lead to hold it down.

Worked well and looked good with the gravel covering up the lead.

I have a piece now that has been floating for about four months now and it is heavy.

Took it out and weighed it the other day and it weighs over 20kgs but still just floats around at the top of tank.

Time to buy another sheet of lead.

The problem with using rocks is that if they fall you crack your tank - not worth the risk.

Another reason why rocks should always be put in first before gravel.

Lead is used as plant anchors and is fine in tanks.

And weight for size it is far better than any rock.

Also because it is a soft metal it is very easy to work with and you can shape it if needed.

Whatever you do - Good luck.

Graeme

Edited by xysti53

Would lead not leach into the water? I like the slate/ any rock idea myself
Ahhh Yeah lead is a very toxic material and will leach into the water.

lead is used as a weight for bunched plants in the lfs. and used as sinkers in fishing.

Doesn't change the fact it's toxic and will leach into the water

lead can bind with carbonate, does not dissolve in water (unless incredibly acidic) can be dissolved by chloramines (thankfully theres prime) and can be absorbed by plantlife.

fair enough, sometimes i think "fear" plays too big a part in things. some pipework in australia is still held together with lead solder (yes drinking water).......... so in that case the fish get it at wc time in any event ;) its one of the reason ph is changed (increased) en route.......... to limit dissolved lead