drmunroe

Feeding fresh veggies...

So ive heard you can feed fish fresh vegies. I bought some organic zucchini & carrot the other day. I sliced some zucchini up, cut it into quarters & put it into my tropical tank which has

1 x shubunkin gold fish, 4 x foxes, 2 x sharks, 1 x chinese algae eater, 1 x peppered cory, & 2 x com BN.

They seemed to like it (once they realised it was food & not a threat floating above their heads.

Today i grated a small amount of zucchini & carrot. They didnt seem to enjoy it this time around.

Is (occasionally) feeding veggies to our little aquatic friends recommended? If so what is best? Or should I just ignore the fresh food & stick with flakes, pellets, & brine shrimp?

cheers

I have fed my Loaches and Bristlenose pear,rockmelon,star fruit and watermelon. The watermelon was a big hit with them.

Another thing I feed every couple of months is the soft backbone from canned Salmon which is also a big hit with them.

Cheers Graeme.

I feed my fish lots of different vegies. Mainly for the BNs but everyone gets in on it.

My BNs favourite is zucchini, squash and cucumber. My corys favourite is zucchini. My african's love garlic cut up, melon, strawberries, the zucchini and squash.

I have bamboo skewers (used to make shish kebabs) and I have shoved a sinker on one end. So when it is vegie time, I thread the vegie onto the stick and toss it in. Then I just get the stick out 12 hours later.

I throw all vegies in raw.

all the veges mine get r raw i only par boil them in they going into home made food so its easier on me to blend it or mash it together even peas r not shelled given them whole the pumpkin i feed them is shell on stabbed with a spoon or fork and the shell and fork removed after 24-36 hrs if there is anything left of it

I chuck a zucchini sliced in half into my 8ft, half at each end on a fork buried in the gravel.

The Plecos and BN almost take up permanent residence on the zucchini once it is in there, and I have found them hanging around the forks when there is none.

My clown loaches, yoyos, flying foxes and angels also have a munch on it, and my ghost knife goes absolutely nuts over it.

A full zucchini is lucky to last any more than about 30 hours.

ive fed my BN pumpkin, lettuce, cucumber and zucchini. The only one that doesnt cloud the water is lettuce.

Am i just leaving it in too long or what?

Is the clouded water bad for the fish?

Fresh vegetables should be removed around 12 - 16 hours after it was first put it. I've found that with cucumber my tank is littered with the seeds so removing it before that 16 hours comes around minimises that.

As long as you're performing regular water changes the cloudy water won't harm the fish, at least it hasn't yet in my experience.