tankweaver

Help: Jack Dempsey male or female? (with pics)

Hey all, still new to this forum thought Id start my first topic..

had the Dempsey on the right for around 6 months since juvenile, the one on the left was given to me by a mate a couple of weeks back

they are very similar to look at and in size so I had just assumed they'd be 2 males they seem to get on well and are always hanging round each other

once I put them together it really brought their colors out alot! but lately the new guy has been flaring gills and putting on a show which got me thinking..

Do I have a male & female here?? or just 2 males being territorial

Any help on this & explaining differences in telling the Dempsey sexes apart would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Jack Dempseys Together.jpg[/attachment:ijcg27ml]

Jack 1.jpg[/attachment:ijcg27ml]

Jack 2.jpg[/attachment:ijcg27ml]

looks like a male and female to me. The jack on the right is a male and the one on the left is a female

But then again the fins are very similar too each other as well.

sexing them by fins is near impossible these days unfortunately

Thanks for the replies :)

looks like a male and female to me. The jack on the right is a male and the one on the left is a female
But then again the fins are very similar too each other as well.

sexing them by fins is near impossible these days unfortunately

This is the feeling i'd originally had but am not experienced in picking the gender of fish, was just a gut feeling..

how do you go about telling the differences in jacks with male and female? if you dont mind me asking

It was hard for me to pick the difference at first but eventually noticed the new jack left of the picture has more spots round the gills & face also has more intense blue throughout,

this being the female in question has also been really feisty lately and its eyes change to like a golden sorta colour when flaring and chasing the other jack, which Id heard is breeding behavior?

theses other close-up pics may not help any more as I couldn't get the focus right pretty blurry

Left Jack close up.jpg[/attachment:29pjgkra]

Right Jack close up.jpg[/attachment:29pjgkra]