Chrisdfish

Most efficient way to heat a fish room.

I'm quite aware that I'm probably about t unleash the monster of discussions/arguments but I'm in the process of moving and would love some feedback as to the most efficient way to heat a room. The room in question is 6.5 x4.5 metres.

Have to agree with Ray but also need to block the gap between the roller doos and the gap at the top if in a garage. I run mine 24/7 all year round on about 26 deg

i juss run a false door into the room, so never had that issue, but good ideas all round,

I have just done exactly what u want to do. I put a personnel door in the side and insulated with pink batts throughout walls and ceiling. For sheeting I used 20mm coolite attached to studs with liquid nails. Wall aircon keeps it exactly where i want it and Im in toowoomba where it fluctuates a lot outside. If I could do anything differently it would be to use split system air con as its cheaper and put a whirly bird in the roof because it does actually get too hot in there sometimes. This is from the heat put off by lights pumps ect. Cheers.

I would also suggest a split system air-con, and get a good quality inverter one, they use less power, I have a panasonic in my fishroom and very happy with it after 3 winters to date. You can also get vented whirlybirds which can be left open in summer for ventilation to get hot air out, and closed off in winter to keep hot air in. And yes, insulate the fishroom, otherwise you are just wasting money heating it. I have also put external rollershutters over the windows in my fishroom, they are insulated and stop heat loss through the windows when they are closed at night, and I can open them during the day to let natural light in.

Cheers, Doug

Edited by DFishkeeper

Split system air con all the way. Get top of the line Mitsubishi electric, should not have any problems

With one of those. Also for everyone who uses air cons in fish rooms make sure you get them serviced as they become

Full of mould and bad bacteria. Which after a while you are just putting it straight into the air which can't be good for the fishies

Ta 4 the info guys. I was thinking that AC was the way to go but wanted advice before I shelled out hard earned bucks. The room was a bar/games room and has a well insulated ceiling, a solid brick wall with two windows then large sliding in the other of the external walls. Unheated, the tanks are running at 21 degrees which is way better than the ones at Rathdowney that are at 16 degrees atm and dropping.. I figured the other big advantage of the AC was it would dehumidify the air so keep mould etc down. I will however take on board your advice about regular services holden 1862.

As In regular servicing you will only need to get a frigie out once or twice a year max I would think, you of course can

Clean the filters on a regular basis to help it. But pullin the air con completely apart can get a little tricky.