ive been trying to find fiberglass ponds similar to the ones used overseas to use as my grow out and spawning tanks. so i went and saw a local fiberglass company. great guy gave me lots of ideas.

so basically i need to build a mold out of mdf then cover it in resin sand and im ready to start making tanks. im thinking a size 1200mm x 1200mm x 450mm deep. then closing of an area of about 20cm across the back for filtration rather than using a sponge filter. im thinking Hamburg Mattenfilter (HMF): 20ppi then bioballs ceramic noodles before returning it to the tank via air lift pumps x2.

im going to add pics as i go so anyone else who wants to try it. any thoughts comments

was going to use 42mm x 19mm layed in after the 2nd layer of 600gm. i was thinking 2 down every side. i was also going to put a 50mm return lip on the sides to help with strength, do u think that will be enough

nice idea and nice size at 4 x 4...thats your standard pretty much in thai,singapore and japan...especially for ranchu(top views) as you'd probably know...I'd personally want it deeper for ryukins and maybe even orandas(each to their own :))....love to see some pics as you go along :)

Medium Density Fibreboard, cheap and easy to work with but unless sealed no good around water

its going to be the mold, then fiber glass resin is put over the top sanded smooth and then its ready for the wax mold release to be applied and we are ready to start fiber glassing over the mold this way it wont stick

what depth would you use for ryukins i want to make a range of sizes to see what works best. i was thinking a long skinny one with dividers for the fry rearing tanks to transfer the spawning mops when they have eggs. something like 2400mm x 450mm x 300mm with the capacity to make 6 at 400mm x 450mm for the young fry.

I rate ibc's as grow outs and would definitely recommend for the less fancy guys or stronger swimmers but it can be too deep for ranchu ..you want the big footprint or surface area rather than depth ..and I reckon 60cm would be enough for the deep body shape of ryukins..could definitely use an ibc to grow these guys out

Edited by goldenswimmers

but it can be too deep for ranchu ..you want the big footprint or surface area rather than depth ..and I reckon 60cm would be enough for the deep body shape

have you thought about cutting the ibc in half, and connecting them with 90mm/100mm pvc pipe, still give you 1000lts appox and you end up with about 50cm deep and 2mtr long x 1mtr wide, :) or just run them seperatly, give you 2 x 500ltr tubs,

I'd probably look at something bit more shallow(just cut lower obviously :)) to make it easier for the fry to get food but havent definitely thought about getting the 2 halves out of them(what would you put the other half on as far as a support/stand??)...you could definitely do it....might even be able to get 3 using the cut out middle section...but would need to add a base to the "frame"..ideas for this base??????

Edited by goldenswimmers

my idea was just cut in half and tip upside down, it still has a frame around it, just have to make sure you seal the lid up good,

i guess a pool / pond liner could be used inside the middle section if you cut it in 3, just use the middle as a frame to support the pool / pond liner,

I use Nally Megabins, which are sized to fit in pallet racking and cost $200 - $250 at about 700L, but shallow varieties are available. There's a company in Melbourne called Global Bins that was making similar for about half price. They don't have the facility for a bottom drain, but if you're not using a system, that won't matter.

thanks mate, had a look at them they look pretty good, we have a fair few of them around the area, we use them for orange picking. might call past some of the packing sheds and see if any of them have some for sale

update on fiber glass mold for tanks!

mold built out of 16mm mdf, measuring 1200 x 1200 x 470. it has a 19mm x 19mm rebate built into the mold so a lid and filter can be sat on the top. it has a 5* taper for a center drain, 4 airlifts will be positioned to help circulate the tank and drag most of the waste to the drain.

Pics below.