Ok- looking for tips on keeping these things. I had some years ago, but frustrtingly watched them all slowly drop off one after the other.

Anybody here keep them successfully? Water/diet tips? I've been told by half the people I've asked that they need brackish, the other half fresh only. Everyone tells me they need live food to thrive. Can I keep a few in fluval edge ok? (gotta do something with that bloody paperweight).

bumble's are great little guys :)

They seem to do best in slightly brackish water but i've kept plenty in freshwater fine - but yeah feeding is the main pitfall people fall into, i've always fed mine a mix of mozzie larvae and frz bloodworms/brine shrimp.

and yeah a few would do fine in an edge (both sizes), your also better off keeping them on their own.

Awesome, thanks guys- anyone have experience breeding them? The guy I'm buying off feeds his on frozen bloodworm- he owns an LFS, so has no idea on how this affects them long term..should I be worried?

Im thinking if I have a group of saayy..5, in the 26L edge, I can have a few cherries in there providing a steady stream of live feed for them..

i havn't bred them myself but have this fantastic book on breeding aquarium fish (has gnarley stuff in it like clown knives, puffers, chalceus, red bellied piranhas ect.), i'll see if I can photocopy a few pages later tonight.

Use a brackish water set up. similar to that of the desert goby. Place in some empty snail shells as DDF mentioned plenty of live mosquito larva, freshly hatched brine shrimp and I have found freeze dried blackworms good too. They lay there eggs in the shells. Fry are extremely small, feed in micro powders and vinegar eels.

Couldn't get the scanner working sorry but heres the main points the book points out...

- 2/3 freshwater and 1/3 seawater (or brackish)

- hard, slightly acidic water @ 6.8

- feed them heaps for 2 weeks

- have lots of mystery snal shells/small caves

- after spawning the male guards the eggs and the girl is chased away

- this spawning occured with a group of 2 females and 5 males

- girls will get fat and males will take on an orangey colour when in breeding conditions

- tank should be only 10cm deep and heavily planted

- one small flowerpot on each side of the tank so each male can claim territory

- spawning takes place over 4-6 days with 100-200 eggs

- fry are free swimming after 2-3 days from hatching and should be feed tiny foods like mentioned above

HTH

Michael

Cheers frinkie, I've bibled that for future reference. I bought 5 of the little fellas, they were in freshwater so that's what I have them in as well- I guess slowly add salinity at some point. At the moment though they're not breeding size...godDAMN are they small. But so entertaining, watching them stalk and pounce on shrimplets.

Like lions, if lions were fat, a centimetre big, bumblebee coloured and had sad smileys for their faces.