CrayonBox

Advice on raising fry

Hey guys, i know theres heaps of you one here who breed so i figure there have to be heaps of you with opinions on the best way to raise fry.

So hit me with it, all the advice you have.

ATM: i have a SGT pair that have bred and have fry, i move about half to a 2ft tank and left the other half in with the pair, mostly because i couldnt catch them and its an 8ft display tank so theres lots of room for them to run.

How do i keep the maximum amount of fry alive in the 2ft tank? The mum does a pretty dam good job in the 8ft

They are gonna out-grow a 2ft tank after only a few weeks, then you'll need a 3ft or preferably a 4ft to grow them out to like 3cm....

Also, I try as hard as I can and have had good results with not using very meaty foods such as BBS and that kinda thing, I ONLY use Hikari First Bites until they can take flake. The reason being is the meaty foods put a huge pressure on the bioload and can easily cause an ammonia or nitrite spike!

Sure, you lose a few of the weaker runty fry, but most of them survive.

Only problem I have had with any fry has been with JD fry, their mouths are SO SMALL, they can only really eat live BBS, that sucks.

At what size do you stop feeding food like baby brine and what food do you move onto?

I'm breeding ellioti. I start feeding newly hatched brine shrimp the day they start free swimming (around day 3-4).

Introduce them to NLS at 4 wks then alternate feeds between NLS & Hikari Micro Pellets.

Feed 4-5 times a day.

Have fry 6 weeks old & are now 1.5cm. & doing well.

HTH

I'm breeding ellioti. I start feeding newly hatched brine shrimp the day they start free swimming (around day 3-4).

Introduce them to NLS at 4 wks then alternate feeds between NLS & Hikari Micro Pellets.

Feed 4-5 times a day.

Have fry 6 weeks old & are now 1.5cm. & doing well.

HTH

So u ONLY feed brine shrimp from day 3 to week 4 then convert to pellets/powder etc??