Bobnater

My first reef tank (5x2x2) With pictures!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and I'm even newer at salt water so go easy. That said lets dive in to the pictures because they can tell a story much better than me.

photo8wi.jpg

This first one is early on as Clinton from tranquil marine services was installing the tank. He has been a real big help so far with a lot of information.

photo7ueq.jpg

The first of many problems for the day, the top of the reactor had snapped off and will need to be replaced over the next week. We also have some problems with the protein skimmer which had a snapped connection.

photo9hq.jpg

As the fittings are coming together for the overflow down to the sump.

This is the bulk of the in construction pictures that i have but as the day moved forward and we filled the tank I picked up a few more.

photo6js.jpg

Unfortunately one of the boxes of live rock was Christmas rock instead of the red rock for the tank so for now the inside looks rather bare. That said my tank is now home to a few pieces of coral that seem to have survived along with what Clinton tells me is a serpent starfish. This elusive little friend declined to be photographed at this time but ill see what I can do later. The hood for the top of the tank will come later along with the broken items and the red rock so for now the tank will start to cycle and I'll wait for Clinton to come back to me with the replacement items/rock.

Thanks for looking at my few pictures any comments/criticism will be much appreciated.

Edited by Bobnater

Did you buy it complete?

I can’t see the most forgotten and down sized, yet the most important part of a marine system, accurate pre filtering!

Another thing that we are not normally told and have to find out the hard way over some years is that chillers electronics suffer from humidity, they are not designed to go near or under the tank, the electronics that is.

Plus they need to exchange air from its area to another as it takes the heat out of the water, the warm air that is emitted by the fan has to go into another room or out side away from the chiller or the chiller will be over loaded and the area the chiller is in will be heated and the chiller will not be able to cool its self and the 15 degrees it could take out becomes as low as only 2 degrees taken out and then you need a bigger chiller.

Its not fare that this is not explained to hobbyists!

If you have a cool house in summer or air con it doesn’t overly matter,just caulerpa as one example that can not be kept properly above 25c temp,as the temps goes up it goes down.

All pollutants become more polluting as the temps go up and PH suffers at high temps as well and PH stability controls everything!

Nice looking tank and stand, good luck with it.

You can't see it in the photos but behind the tank is a half wall with a lip at the top so the tank is actually sitting off the wall by a fair margin, I'm thinking that this few inches of breathing room should keep it well enough ventilated. On the topic of pre filtering I'm sorry but I don't know what your referring to. Having said that the sump set-up is less than half way done atm as its missing protein skimmer, reactor and biological filtration in a refugium. If you think I'm missing something don't hesitate to tell me ; )

EDIT

I did indeed buy it as a complete set-up, Clinton was one of the best people in terms of explanation and help that i spoke to when i was looking to start the tank.

Edited by Bobnater

A pre filter can be, as a weak type, a filter sock.

A pre filter is to take out waste and particles that will block media in the sump that would have accomplished some of the nitrite cycles oxidation processes.

The worst of the potential blockage causers are calcium and silica particles, they over a few years cause havoc, it’s a slow process, but it lowers the biological filtering potential over time.

Plus if the water exits the tank and is properly pre filtered the live rock will remain porus longer as these blocking potential particles get picked up and removed from the tanks water when you replace the Dacron or wash it regularly, if you use Dacron, I use 100 micron,it blocks up quick and needs to be cleaned each day, but it will give my system extra longevity and it only takes 2 mins a day.

The lack of pre filtering is not a problem until 6 months to two years down the track,in there it shows little by little and the propping up to improve water quality,begins.

You can do some wonderful stuff with a sump if the water exits the tank free of particles.

Its not a big issue with little life in the system.

Edited by liquidg

UPDATE!

The tank is going OK as of today, a bit of a decay smell coming off it from some live rock dying off but Clinton tells me its nothing to be concerned about this early in the cycling process. My big discovery of the day has been what I identified (possibly inaccurately) as a glass anemone. Looking around the web I noticed a picture of a small see-through organism that looked exactly like what I had noticed in the tank late last night. Further investigation tells me its a pest that can spread quickly and be very hard to stop. So a question to the masses:

What should I do?

Predators I don't think are really an option because the tank won't support the biomass yet

Physical removal seems clumsy and hit and miss at best

They seem to be rather hardy and killing them off with chemicals/medication seems to be a burn all the bridges option.

My main worry is that by the time the tank can support something predatory (peppermint shrimp are an option that appeals to me) the anemones will already proliferated to every corner of the tank!

As a side note the looks of that serpent star are amazing and i can only hope to see if live through.

UPDATE!

scaled.php?server=27&filename=tankfullsmall.png&res=landing

The tank is looking very nice now, as of the saturday just gone Clinton has stopped by again and after we finished scr.apping down all the algae and changing 70% of the water (and most of the dislodged algae!) 4 chromis, 2 plate corals and a golfball coral found new homes.

golfballextendedfishsma.png

Everything seems to be looking really good atm going to wait a week with the current stock to see how the filtration system goes and make sure everything is running as expected.

For a side note I can not for the life of me decide on stocking so lets hear everyone's favourite undersea friend (preferably small enough to fit into a 5ft). With my limited experience what I've like the most so far is the Mandarin dragonet although the well developed system it requires leaves it out of my reach for now.

Edited by Bobnater

Sadly its a bit short for most anthias as far as I've seen they like to get moving and need a decent run :(

Also it seems that even the hardier species should be fed at least 3 times a day

Edited by Bobnater

My favourites would have to be hawkfish such as a pixie hawk, so much character!

Firefish, very beautiful colours and personality

Sixline wrasse, although sometimes aggressive I found, it's a fish who is always investing things. When I had one, it would come up to the glass to just stare at my face lol

and another favourite (which I never got to keep) was bangaii cardinals, I think they're an amazing looking fish

Anthias being a distant relative to cods they mostly just "hover" with the exception of a couple.

I have close to 30(flames, dispars, redlines, pascalus, sunburst and a couple tukas. I have an auto feeder that feeds them flake 5 times a day and then I feed them a mix of frozen in the evening. All in a 6x2x2.5 all are fat and live in harmony.

But there are plenty of other choices, like a flame angel.

Edited by benfarrow

For the hair I've dropped down the lighting I have a fluidised reactor going and ill see about more measures as the tank keeps going. I'm still missing the skimmer because sourcing a replacement has been problematic so far. Once that is in and its been given some more time ill see if the problem is new tank cycling or systemic issue with my set-up.