antg

Swordtails and Dwarf Gourami's

I've had the Dwarf Gourami in the tank for a while now and I have a Swordtail in there also which seems to be following the Gourami around quite a bit. I haven't seen the Sword have a crack and the Gourami but I guess you could say he sort of directs him where to swim. I have however seen the Gourami have a go once. The Gourami is constantly on the move, I'd say to try and avoid the Sword but once face to face the Sword turns and swims away. Just wondering if I should leave them a few more days and see how they go or take either one back to the LFS. The Dwarf and the sword are both males.

Edited by antg

Was one of them there first? May be a territorial thing? Try moving some plants or ornaments around, that may help.. I would do that and give it some time as it can sometimes take a while for them to sort things out.. That is unless things get out of hand and it is looking really dire for one of them .

Yeah, the Sword was in the tank first, I guess he's just trying to protect his territory. I moved most of the plants and ornaments around just before I put the Gourami in, I'll see how they are going in the next few days if its still no good I'll take the Gourami back, prefer to keep him as they are a nice fish in Coral Blue but the Sword was there first I suppose.

I reckon the sword tail is just looking for a good time, and has found something he likes the look off.

Give him a lady friend and that would divert his attention.

btw, where did you get the dwarf gourami?

Thanks for the advice cram, I went down the LFS this arvo and bought a female sword and the behavior of the whole tank has changed. The male sword is no longer tailing the gourami so he is swimming around the tank freely and the male sword is behaving like he was before the gourami went in.

Thanks for the advice cram, I went down the LFS this arvo and bought a female sword and the behavior of the whole tank has changed. The male sword is no longer tailing the gourami so he is swimming around the tank freely and the male sword is behaving like he was before the gourami went in.

Good to hear!

Well things in the tank have headed south over the last few days. The sword was no longer harassing the Gourami but instead turned his attention to the male Molly perhaps in an effort to keep him away from the newly introduced female sword. They have really been giving each other a hard time over the last few days and the female sword had been copping some attention from them both as well. So this arvo I decided to take the swords and the molly back to the LFS where I got them and returned home with 5 rummy nose tetra's to join the Gourami. The tank is much more pleasant to look at now and my 3 year old daughter even stood in front of it for about 5 minutes watching the new fish swimming around together. Nicer than watching three fish harassing the hell out of each other thats for sure.