Joddy92

thinking about getting a turtle.

hey all, so i got a 2 foot tank laying around, was thinking of putting guppies or something in it and just letting em breed and then feed them to my cichlids. but i have always wanted a turtle, would a small turtle or 2 be ok in there? (i understand it'll grow so in a year or so i'll get it a bigger tank then) just wanting to get some info on keeping of turtles.

cheers wade, any help/input will be great.

turtles are cool, but while i don't think they will fight to much, i will have to say 2ft is way to small for 1 turtle, as a baby it might be ok, but in the end you will need a pond or at least a 5 x 2 at a min, but a 6 x 2 would be better, so you have to first think about if you can fit in a 6 x 2 for a couple turtles, and yes it might take 12 months for them to grow, or longer, but it will go fast, :) you could put a couple bigish cichlids or natives with them, but you will run the risk of something eating their tank mates, lol,

also turtles need uv lighting, so that has to be included in your plans, and a reptile licence.......

but they are cool and before moving to brissy i had 10 in an outdoor enclosure with 2 small ponds in it, plus a few blue tongues,

ok cheers yea i knew it would be to small in the long but thought it would be ok in short term, i'll just have to be on a look out for a tank now (unless i get rid of cichlids and swap for a turtle. yea i've looked at lighting and pumps and heaters, i need a licence as well wtf is that hard to get? or cost much?