brockssracer

Using leaves in your fish tank

Whilst I was looking through one of the many sites I have bookmarked I came across some information about another type of leaf that can be used in a tank as wondered if anyone had tried using them. The species of tree is a black wattle. AQUAGREEN Fact Sheet Thats the link for those of you that may want to read it as well... Question is has anyone tried them before as I have an infinate supply of these available to me.

i'd be a bit careful, you can actually kill your fish using some wattles.

From another site

This is an interesting one. Although many species of wattle seed can be eaten, I won't concentrate on that aspect, because there's so many varieties out there, and I'm not sure all are edible.

However, one interesting thing about most wattles, is that the seed pods, and some leaves, usually contain a chemical under the 'Rotenone' family in varying quantities, and sometimes 'saponin'. Rotenones are harmless to humans, and saponins are fine unless they get into your blood-stream in high quantities (saponin's are used in soaps and toothpastes quite often, so don't worry about them too much).

Both chemical families however, draw the oxygen out of water very well. As such, although I wouldn't recommend using this in a non-life-threatening situation, if you ever desperately need to find something to eat, grab a good couple of handfulls of the wattle seed pods (preferably dried - the ones that curl up into tight spirals are usually the best) and leaves from a wattle tree nearby, take them down to a small pool of water (no larger than a kids wading pool) that is likely to have fish under ledges etc., and start rubbing the seed pods together in the water.

If you notice a light foam start to form, you've picked the right wattle. Keep rubbing, and try to mix the foam down into the water. After 5-10 mins or so (depending on the wattle, and the volume of water), fish will start to float to the surface - they won't have enough oxygen to breath. This might give you enough for a feed, or potentially some fish to use as bait.

Keep in mind that the pond is now practically dead - fish, frogs, most insects, etc - so don't try this unless you need to. It'll take a while to regenerate, unless this is a tidal pool