hanstacey

what fish are best with longfin bristlenose???

Hi we have juvie longfin bristlenose that are getting tail nipped from our juvie africans, so we are moving them all to another tank and was wondering what types of fish are best to keep with them so they won't lose their long fins?:( also how long would it be for their fins to grow back to original and is there any treatment i can give them to help them along? Thanks

we just feed them cichlid pellets but once a week they do get fed a little bit of salt water shrimp...the bns get algae wafers and zucchini every day and we also noticed that the white tips on our baby peps are bitten too :(

I do not know if it will fix the problem or not but I was listening to a overseas podcast and they were talking that with a few fish they will chew on other fishs' fins and when they started feeding them a more meatier or higher protein diet they stopped doing it. I think the ones they were originally talking about were serpaes' but I am just wondering if a bit of a diet change might fix the problem without having to find a alternative.

but if that doesnt fix the problem you could try putting some fancy guppies in, or rainbows such as praecox.

I would keep them with cherry shrimp, corys, mystery snails and either guppys or neons.

but I love that combo

if you go the guppys

then the bristlenose, shrimps, snails, corys AND guppys can ALL breed and have some fry survive, if you provide some structure for them to hide out in.

:D

Fin growth or repair is based on available metabolic energy in the fish. Continuing to feed them regularly is pretty much the only thing you can do, reducing current in the tank to stop additional tearing is probably the second most important factor to consider. Adding hides and removing caves or surfaces the fish can catch on also helps but if its a fish removal of the longfin or the culprit is necessary. I keep a lot of longfins and tearing is common, when i see females or males with tearing i remove them and place them in a 2 foot tank which is bare bottom with a substantial amount of timber that have no sharp edges. The idea is to have the fish stop moving, in effect reducing the fishes need to use its fins which are already agitated. I've found it takes about 2-3 weeks on average to repair tear damage depending on severity but i normally get it early. I have the ph at 7 with temp at 28 degrees and add zuccini twice a day when time permits. Consider that the fish are stressed as they won't be swimming at peak capacity due to tears so the current in this tank is minimal with an aquaclear 110 and nothing else adding to water flow. My LFS said adding melafix is a good place to start to help repair any damage by stopping irritation on the torn fins, i'm not sure how or what it really does but i always add it to this tank and so far had excellent results. As for tank mates, i generally keep longfins with very gentle fish and not anything that likes to nibble or chase smaller individuals.

thanks for all the info guys...its really helpful :) Will look into getting other fish mentioned and see how we go just don't want to have a empty looking tank :) Clipper thanks for the great info and will look into the melafix stuff and see how that goes, just caught a albino one and he now looks like a short fin :( poor little guy he is the worse so i think he will have longer recovery time than the others....Thanks again guys learnt my lesson and they will be kept separate from now on :)