So in my community tank 7x2.5x2 housing a heap different americans and africans... my Super Green Texas and Convict have paired up fair while ago... and now recently after moving on my 2 big FH's they seemed to have come out of their shell and find a hatching spot and now have a **** load amount of baby fish... see photos attached!

So has anyone seen how a SGT x Convict turns out? so far they just free roaming in the tank... I couldn't really care if they get eaten by others or whatever, just let nature take its course! But if they turn out awesome somehow i might save some just to see... my guess is they won't look any good....

Thoughts??

*Disclaimer... this post is not about creating a new species or anything as you're not allowed to discuss that according to forum rules... this cross has happened already so than technically it can be discussed!

post-5335-14711626715531_thumb.jpg

post-5335-14711626715967_thumb.jpg

Edited by radley86

My advice is, get that convict out and either get another SGT or a BP (Depending on sex on the SGT).

As the picture above, I can't see the resulting fry looking any good, and SGT fry will sell 100000 X easier.

But you know, it's worth a try, I guess. :D

Well, green texas are very different from texas, so the fries will look nothing like the pic above. Secondly, SGT is way more colorful than a normal green texas, and from what I can tell, the pearls will get passed on (usually), and so would the convict's bars. You might end up with a beautifully greenish-blue cichlid with pearls of a green texas and bars of a convict.

I'd be interested in some of your fry. :P

they will be cool feeders. start with a better base for any hybrid. as base fish go convicts are junk as are red devils.......... unless you want fader. whilst its true the escondido has larger pearls less then 10% will carry anything resembling colour and after 10cm only 10% of those will likely be kept. its only on honest opinion based on fact ;)

they will be cool feeders. start with a better base for any hybrid. as base fish go convicts are junk as are red devils.......... unless you want fader. whilst its true the escondido has larger pearls less then 10% will carry anything resembling colour and after 10cm only 10% of those will likely be kept. its only on honest opinion based on fact ;)

Aye, but hey that still leaves 1 or 2 that *may* look nice lol. XD

Aye, but hey that still leaves 1 or 2 that *may* look nice lol. XD

yup sure does and after you fed em all to get that far they should only owe ya.......... a few hundred bux each XD

Lol well no pain no gain haha. xD

yeah that is right. its like anything i guess. if you buy a ferrari and rip out the engine and install a 4 banger....... well performance will lack and you will have detracted from the original rather then enhanced it. the hybrid world is about progression and not detraction. if you look at it from a creative standpoint or a monetary one i can only see failure. its only opinion but why pick a bland base fish when you can pick something with more substance? alot of hybrid breeders seem to be more about these random events then having a plan to create. the easy path is generally never the best one................

haha cheers for all good replies... i'm not into the fish breeding stuff though soooo i'll just leave 'em and they will probably become feeders for the rest of the biggish tank mates... if any1 is really interested in them, PM me and if they manage to get a bit bigger, i'll PM ya back and you can grab them for free to grow out or for feeders for some real big fish!