goldenswimmers

Top View Ranchu (japanese ranchu)...aka the "king" of goldfish

All the talk about bloodlines and breeding,etc has got me keen to share a goldfish variety that has a deep history of bloodlines and is known in the goldfish world as the "king" of goldfish.....the TVR or topview ranchu.....It is a product of japanese breeding efforts and came from the lionhead goldfish (China back in the 1800s)...it is pretty much the "true" ranchu and it has deep established bloodlines that are not easily "bought" as they have cultural significance which is viewed as more important than the commercial value(something nice to see in the aquarium hobby if you ask me)...this might also be the reason why people in general are unaware of these guys..they havent been pushed around the world with profits in mind..it is hard to get the bloodlines and not cheap either...and yet some true breeders give the fry or baby black ranchu(called this due to their dark colour before they begin to "colour" up) away for free to young students of the "game".

...so heres some examples of the topview ranchu....

s14.jpg

1289722014.jpg

1306842128.jpg

1182838896.jpg

Blockheads!!! Lol

:) ha ha.. thats one of the things I dig about them..the heads!...there are a few "accepted" different types when it comes to the head shape...

this is my fave shape...the dragon head

T03_resize.jpg

s06.jpg

and heres another different type(see the overall headgrowth)

O10_resize.jpg

Edited by goldenswimmers

How beautiful! I'd love to have one of the bowls (or whatever the term is) set up in my room.

They use those funky white bowls to "show" them off pretty much...unless you had a big one :) they also use those bowls for the babies to grow out..after all the culling with these guys they might be lucky to have 20 little ones left..they go hardcore on the culling as they aim to improve the bloodlines... they keep the adult guys in pretty shallow water as they are not deep water fish so usually around 25-30cm but with a good sized surface area so 3x3 or 4x4 fibreglass ponds...Ive been thinking about getting some custom built 3x3x1s in glass and pretty much have a little glass pond...getting the tank is the easy part...:)

They are so pretty!!

A bit off topic but I've always wanted to build a pond but I never seem to find the time (or work out where) to do it! Would love some shubunkins or ryukins. Hmmm, maybe one day I'll get out there and do it...

go the ryukins for the pond Col..my favourite fancy pond fish(out of the common fancy guys anyways...I'll even donate a big red female..possibly some others for the cause :))...or get a pond,control the temps,make it about 4x4 and only 30cm deep and get a few of these imported....love ya for life :) :) ha ha

Picture444.jpg

A little insight into raising these guys...I didnt understand much of what they were discussing :) but its a nice little insight into the technology required to raise these beautiful fish(I think I spotted an airstone or two :))and the beautiful fish getting raised...

Edited by goldenswimmers

A little insight into raising these guys...I didnt understand much of what they were discussing :) but its a nice little insight into the technology required to raise these beautiful fish(I think I spotted an airstone or two :))and the beautiful fish getting raised...

why would they have had so few in each pond, or might they have been divided by varying quality? water looked beautiful

why would they have had so few in each pond, or might they have been divided by varying quality? water looked beautiful

The more room for your fish to swim...the more room to grow and blossom....last thing these guys want is to have a beautiful fish not reaching its full potential...and you'd be right too with the dividing for quality relle..;)..some would be "potentials"..others "little gems" ha ha..:)they would be seperated on quality also heritage(different parents) and even age...they class their fish by age in japan too but dont judge by size..its more the beauty of the fish regardless..."tosai" are fish born this year,"nisai" are fish born last year so 2 years old currently and "oya" or parent fish are these guys 3yrs or older....;)

Edited by goldenswimmers