the cichlid kid

Wild caught oscars from pet city

Was thinking the same thing the other day lol

I have one hes now about 20odd cm or so very black with shades of green & deep red lines will try & sort a pic but my camera is **** house . Would love to see pics of others think Dvs had one .

Our supplier has some forsale.....I'd buy one..... But I don't like oscars

I didn't like oscars either but after seeing a wild caught one, I changed my mind. So awesome.

Does anyone remember the wild oscar (and the fire eel) in the display tank at Aquazoo at New Farm? That's the first time I ever saw one and have liked them ever since.

On a slightly unrelated note, is Aquazoo still around? Last time I was in there would have been like 8 or 9 years ago.

Edited by the cichlid kid
fixed quote

I had one years ago and have never seen another like it since. I would prob have one otherwise. Have no pics sorry because back then owned no phone or camera let alone both haha I'd love to see others pics though!

Is now a good time to mention that I got in more - from that same German supplier as the ones you are talking about? They came in Tuesday. They were held for us after QT until they were actively seeking pellets. Very very healthy.

I got some in after that initial shipment you guys were talking about - and they didn't hold a candle to the originals. Now we have the good ones again. If you come in and look for them, they are in the back corner kinda near the discus in the sandy bottom tank

Just thought I would bump this thread as no one posted any pics the first time around!

C'mon guys, would love to see them.

Also on a side note, how do they get along with tank mates? Just wondering if they bully peaceful fish?

I know the wild ones don't tolerate each other and just like regular oscars they eat anything they can fit in their mouth but how do they get on with other fish? Please share what tank mates you have them with (if any).

Thanks,

Beau.

just wondering...i brought a 7 1/2 cm albino oscar around about 4 weeks ago..he/she is going fine ..,,but has changed color..all the edges of its fins have turned light grey color..

wood it be possibly given color enhancer to sell it..?..the fish did initially go through white spot..but was treated promptly..its happy healthy..being fed by hand..and has 2x female convicts as tankmates..in a 2 foot cube tank..thankyou for all comments

Both very cool fish Love the colour on the Bottom pic. And they look far more predatory with the pointed head shape than traditional oscars.

Thanks for sharing

No worries tck I was just looking at the photos of the juveniles when I had them and i'm thinking the top Oscar is one those from pet city.

Why can you import a big cichlid like an oscar, but smaller species like the Cryptoheros and Thoricthys are a no go. Doesn't make sense to me, surely an oscar loose in the waterways would be as bad as any other cichlid ?

Why can you import a big cichlid like an oscar, but smaller species like the Cryptoheros and Thoricthys are a no go. Doesn't make sense to me, surely an oscar loose in the waterways would be as bad as any other cichlid ?

They are loose in the waterways apparently up around Townsville they are established in some creeks. Correct me if i'm wrong anyone from there???

but honestly we have carp and tilapia in our systems so I do not see how it could get any worse than that. An while i'm in a rant mood why can't fish geeks ( yes that is what you are if your reading this) get imports in ??? not like we gonna spend all that energy getting said fish then one day wake up and say " you know what i'm over pirahna might pop down the local pond before breakfast and toss em in" are we ? NO WE ARE NOT and why is that?

Because we are fish geeks and know what the outcome of that stupid idea would be but some very smart person in some very smart building thought people are dumb best not let them have these interesting and cool as fish as they might throw them out one day and that might just mess up our ecosystem even more than it already is.

ok rant over.

Oscar...in a 2 foot cube tank..thankyou for all comments

I sincerely hope you plan on upgrading your Oscar in to a minimum of a 6x2 sometime in the near future.

I know this is getting away from the topic but I agree. In my opinion the restrictions are a bit over the top and they should lift most, if not all of them. I realise some people are going to jump up and down but that's just me. If their worried about people letting them go maybe they should micro chip them and make everyone that wishes to import and keep these fish liable. Make people get licences like with turtles and some reptiles. You sell it, it dies, breeds, whatever it is you need to report it. That way your name is on a registry and you are open to spot checks i.e. suitable living conditions, health and other non declared species :ewink:. Kinda frustrating seeing red tailed catties, goonch, payara and other monsters readily available in the UK, Just really jealous lol

Mate I think ur al suked in as to wild caught .jmo any 1 can breed **** quality fish n selem to a fish shop for a $1for them to selem to a whole saler .n the whole saler to label wat they want.seen it hapen before with fish I sold.