itank

Damo's 55 litre Nano Journal

Introduction:

Hi my name is Damien I'm from Bundamba just west of Brisbane in ipswich. I have been into fish since i could breath. For years my old man kept fish and when i got a place of my own i started keeping my own fish. I never got interested in marine tanks because cost was always way too much for me. I have bred guppies mostly and now have a custom made 3 foot guppy tank that has been great for the last few months. But since going on a bit of a shopping spree for my freshwater tank i saw that marine gear was alot cheaper than it was 10 years ago so after looking into it a couple of months ago i decided to take the plunge.

Reefing Since: 09/06/2012

System Objectives:

The main objective is just to see if i can actually keep a marine tank. I want to start off slow then progress with knowledge and understanding to immerse fully into a larger reef tank down the line.

Type of reef:

FOWLR but will progress to a reef tank later on

Display System:

New Purchase: Aquaone 40

Initial Fill Date: 09/06/2012

Display Tank Dimensions:

40cm Cube

Display Lighting:

Included lighting (upgrade at a later stage)

Stand:

Lol kitchen bench. No really it is my kitchen bench.

Hood or Rimless:

Rimless

Filtration:

All in one filter behind the partitioned back wall

Closing Remarks:

The main goal with this tank is just to get it going. Cycling and the usual stuff i can see is going to be harder than what i am used to but im very excited to have started finally. If i can do it well i will be doing a major upgrade to this tank at a later stage by adding a proper stand with sump and skimmer but for now im just keen to see the tank start to grow.

Pics

7169002215_7daf1333dc_c.jpg

7169001485_d727972413_c.jpg

Good on you Damien,it’s a top hobby for sure.

With reef tanks or anything saltwater related, constant PH is essential, it can be as low as 7.8,(preferably not) or at 8.2,as long as it is at one level always.

The up and down is the killer with PH,also temps,salinity,all the nitrite cycle gases, proteins with high temps in the tank,anything moved once cycling is complete,all these will disrupt your PH,whether its for ten minutes or two days, everything will affect your essential PH stability and if its stable, normally your KH is fine as well.

By the looks of your live rock, you are using only calcium-lime based materials-media in your water, excellent, this is a very important thing with marine keeping and this is to long to go into!!

Anything like dead corals,shell grit,coral rubble,white marble,aragonits-calcium carnonate,even concrete with no metal based stones in it,its all cal-lime based,they are all good!

Temp issues will ruin your PH,as a consequence it makes available oxygen scarce, try to keep your tank at 24c and salinity 1.024,even when the lights go out,the CO2 emitted by the algae on the glass, one the live rock, in corals, every where, will give you PH fluctuations

Be extremely vigilant with the potential for toxins from additions to your waters, as in metals,plastics,etc etc.

Toxins-temp-PH and salinity,you watch these and you will be watching your very successful aquarium spring to life more and more over time.

Oh and your cycling,use some natural sea water,just one bucket of natural is heaps if you go home made salt water,put some marinara mix hung in your water in a stocking bag for ten days to get your ammonia levels way up there,add some aquarium shop bought bacteria and test for nitrites from then on and get them to zero, ad a small hand full of marinara mix again for ten days in a bag, take that out, test for your nitrites until they are zero, a fifty percent water change and your tank is cycled ready to go.

If you ever think your tank life is a little sus and you are concernd,add very gently,some SeachemPH 8.3 buffer.PH is everything to marines and then find the source of whats going on.

Good luck with it.

Edited by liquidg

very minimal rex just a couple of clowns and a cleanup crew to start off. After i get something established ill be upgrading to a sump in a custom cabinet and then if all goes to plan with the upgrade ill start with some small corals. Being my first marine tank im a little hesitant to go to much to fast.

ok so i had a bit of a freak tonight. I was sitting in my chair and i noticed something flying around the tank. I got up and looked closely and first thing i noticed it was dead :( it looked like a sea monkey. But then i looked at the live rock more closely its really amazing what i saw after only 24 hours. i will let the pics talk though.

Umm what is this

7357140498_088183a0ca_c.jpg

and what the hell is this thing

7357142170_07307d8feb_c.jpg

i am just amazed truly amazed

Top one is aptasia, you don't want that one. Easy way to get rid of it is to inject it with vinegar with a syringe. Not sure about the bottom one, I have stacks of things come in on my live rock/corals. I have about 5 crabs I know of that I am going to trap. There's a pistol shrimp in there clicking away, some tube worms etc. Today I brought some zoas and found that there is a baby clam in amongst them lol ahhh the joys of live rock :)

first is an anemone, glass type, likely a pest aptasia.... horrible as it sounds I'd kill it.

second is a sea squirt (Tunicate), harmless but may not survive cycle and would need feeding zoo/phyto plankton and a chiller in summer to survive.

haha dexter. im just really fascinated at it. i knew that there would be things that lived in the rock but the life and growth after such a short time blows me away.

Ok tanks has been up for 48 hours time for the first test

Temp: 26.1

PH: 8

Ammonia: .25 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Tonight i noticed a little snail making his way along the back of the tank so very tiny with a creme shell if i can get a pic ill post up.