Jump to content
Duckess

Discus scratching after parasite treatment

Recommended Posts

The last few days I've noticed one of my discus scratching herself on plants in the tank. She seems to be the only one doing it at the moment.

The annoying thing is that it's only been a couple of weeks since we treated all of our fish, so I can't beleive they'd have any problems.

We treated with fluke and tapeworm tablets, and also big L.

The treatment seemed to have a bad effect on our bacteria as we had nitrite problems afterwards, so I wouldn't like to have to treat again.

Does anyone know if discus can just have a bit of an itch, or if this is likely to be a parasite problem?

Would be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought so, have now seen a second one doing it too. I can't beleive they'd still have it after being treated! Is there any specific treatment that works better than others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prazi is about as good as waterproof thongs. Potassium permanganate is what you need. Bath for 4hrs at 2ppm or dip in 10ppm for as long as the fish will handle it(some better than others).

Please read up on this before doing it and make your own mind up as to whether you want to do it because it is quite harsh. The other option is trichlorofon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a read up about it, I'm not 100% sure about the dosage rates though??

If pulling the fish out to do baths rather than treating them in the tank, would there still be eggs or anything from the flukes in the tank that could then re-infect them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh these fishies can be tiring! Would it help to just do pp dips outside the tank just to get rid of some of the flukes?

I guess our only other option then is to remove all the gravel etc and do the whole tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thanks I'll give that a go.

Also since the last time we treated them we're still having constant water quality issues in two of our tanks. I'm guessing the medication killed our good bacteria, but I wan to know if a 30-50% water change each day is enough to keep my fish healthy? A couple of them are showing very dark stress bars so I'm really worried about them, but there's not much I can really do aside from water changes is there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Water changes will help, the added glucose in the aquamaster tabs will cause a bacterial bloom and deplete your tank of oxygen so getting it out is what you need to do definitely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should definitely have all of the tablets out by now. We had actually done the tablets first then after a few water changes we used big L - It was a bout a week after we stopped treatment that I notice the fish acting strange and tested their water only to find ammonia and nitrites rising. I think this is what's made the flukes get the upper hand as the water quality has probably weakened their immunity.

Main thing now is to get their water quality back up, but im guessing it'll pretty much be like cycling the tank all over again? Unfortunately with our fish in it :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big l is for treating threadworms, it will do nothing for flukes and it will

Make your fish very skittish, great for threadworms though.

If I was in your situation I would run the filter in another tank and leave the disus in the tank with no filter and just an airstone. Without a filter the your ammonia will stay ammonia and not turn into nitrite thus not killing your fish but make sure to keep the water changes up to dilute the ammonia a little or better yet keep your ph below 7 and it will be ammonium and not ammonia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok that's a good idea thank you, I'll try and get tht set up tommorrow. So I'm guessing then I'll just wait for the filter to cycle itself and then I can attach it back to their tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Les, do you normally treat with PP or something else? If you use something else I'd love to know your dosage rates etc, just want to know all of my options before I decide what to do with them. I'm going to wait until the weekend to treat them so I'll be home to keep an eye on them in case they have any bad reactions.

Thanks for everyone's advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thank you, which treatment would you suggest for flukes and what dosage is standard? They don't seem to have any worms, it just looks like flukes could be affecting them at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...