Morgs8u

Discus Breeding and Fry Grow out

I thought i would start a thread to see if anyone wanted help in learning how to breed Discus and How to grow out fry without stunting and dying off due to Bacterial infections

Most would know that i had quiet good success in doing this for a number of years n i thought i would share my knowledge if anyone wanted it as there is a lot of people starting to breed

but i know 90% of them people will give up due to not being able raise there fry to a sell-able size with out big numbers dying off or the pairs just sitting in a tank waiting to be feed n that's about it .

:)

For Breeding 18 Cube wouldn't go any bigger due to fry not being able to find there parents .

if good parents tank size dosnt matter but if it is too small the water will fowl to quick when feeding Brine

for fry small tank is best around 40l mark with 2 100% changes daily and wiping the tank daily with no filter as you don't want bacteria growing in the tank as it will knock them over very quick

for Juv'S 3ft is good size for around 200 fish daily changes is best but if it is a system ,2 50% changes a week is sufficient

ph dosnt matter it will vary with each pair because it depends what they were raised in .

27 is a good temp for hatching 29 for growing but to encourage breeding dropping to 26 then back up every couple of days

A healthy fish will breed no matter what the water ph , temp , hardness is good varied diet is the key

this was my way in which i had good success people will tell you different thing but most of it is **** they read on Google

also for Juvies add some epsom salt 1 tablespoon per 40l is good but only after you stop brine shrmip

this will help to prevent bloat and also speed there metabolism up with the higher temp aswell

feeding little but as many times daily is best i feed mine 10 times daily

fry 3 times daily on brine

separate tanks is best with big water changes

but they still do well in a system

all my tanks were separate with a sponge filter and a bottle of K1 on top works great

but my water usage was not good around 1000l daily

a good beef heart mix and some good protein pellets

A basic but good recipe

2kg beefheart, thoroughly trimmed of any fat and sinew

1kg green prawns, shelled and de veined

1kg of any white ocean fish fillets (don't use fresh water fish)

1kg Salmon (yes I know, but your fish are worth it)

2 leaves of spinage

1 cup frozen green peas

1 cup cooked carrot

1 heaped tablespoon of Spirulina powder for every 2kg of mixture

half a cup of minced garlic

A cup of good quality flake food, to bind it all together.

All this goes thru the mincer twice, so it is all thoroughly mixed together.

It then goes into a big bowl, where I mix by hand (wearing gloves, or you'll have green hands) for about ten minutes.

At this point you can add fish vitamins or any other additives you may like. I like to add NaturRose (astaxanthin) and Pro More, but the choice is yours.

A good spoonfull of mixture goes into each zip lock bag, flatten them with a rolling pin or by hand, and lay on a tray to freeze flat.

Hi morgs, thanks for the great info so far. We've got a few Discus in our display tanks who have paired up with mates of the wrong colour/strain. We've moved them into breeding tanks with matching mates but they're not at all keen on that idea (I feel sorry for them, but don't want to raise low quality fish).

Is there any ways of helping them to accept and spawn with new mates, or is it really just a matter of time to see how they go?

Would also really love to know which strains/colours can be bread together and still produce nice fry?

I know some of them will just give you really peppered fry so we want to avoid that.

Thanks heaps

Stick blues with blues, greens with greens, reds with reds( unless pigeon blood) and pigeon with pigeon. If it has any pigeon in it whatsoever the fry will all be pigeons

Yes very sure, the main pair I'm referring to are blue diamonds who had both paired up with checkerboard and had fertilized eggs which ended up eaten, so we swapped them over to put the blues together and the male seems kinda keen (typical lol) but the female hangs at the back and sulks.

We also have a couple of other pairs who have spawned once but then not again, which is a little frustrating.

Morgs I think we actually ended up with a pair of your checkerboards! Very beautiful fish and we love em wether they breed or not, but they dont seem keen either. Water quality is always good in our breeding tanks, feeding a varied diet etc. what temp would you keep your breeders at?