~Col~

Bath Tub Ponds - Pros & Cons

Hi everyone

My brother renovated the old family home and gave me a "lovely" peach coloured bath tub to use as a pond. :P

What are the pros & cons of using a bath tub as a pond?

I'm guessing it would limit what I could put in there. A standard bathtub would only hold a few goldies wouldn't it? I would really want some goldies. No interest in swords etc.

Position of the "pond" would be another issue I guess. The lovely SEQld weather, it would need somewhere that's not too open in winter (we get frosty) and won't get too hot in summer.

I have a 3m wide veranda that runs the length of the house so it could go on there if I dressed it up a little. However, not having any wood or anything laying around here I would have to spend the $$$ on getting it. Would love to do something like the user JayPee did but I'm guessing it would cost a few $$$ to buy the materials from scratch.

What else would I have to consider? Is it really worth it?

Ideally I would love to just dig a pond somewhere on my block (1 acre) but I can't find a spot suitable. I mean what's the use of building a pond if you can't see it for the trees?? LOL!!

Any tips or suggestions?

This is what i did with an old bath tub.

0015.jpg

005-1.jpg

I have 8 goldies in there. So far so good with the winter temp.

If they get to cold i will throw them in a tank inside so they don't go belly up.

=)

Jaypee, yours was the one I was looking at! I love how it turned out.

Is it a standard shaped tub though? It looked more squareish/angular in some of the photos.

Woops you must of already seen it. Missed the part where you mention my pond.

You don't have to use any structual timber onlt non structual.

MGP10 or F5.

If there are any demolision places near you, you should be able to pick up some iron.

Will just need to get the other timber.

Many options you can go with. I only did what i di because i had the materials laying around.

Only problem is the old man has seen it and now has aquired 2 tubs for me to do.

If ya need any pointers feel free to PM me.

=)

Cheers, thanks for that! I might have to hit up my brother-in-law, he's a builder and is always bragging about left over materials on a job. LOL!!

Tell him you want some left over studs. That will get you by for the frame work.

Somewhere to start from, then tell him to grab some off cut iron and your almost done.

I'm no longer a carpenter other wise I'd hook you up with some timber.

Gone back to being a joiner. Had an opitunity that i couldn't turn down.

Woops you must of already seen it. Missed the part where you mention my pond.

You don't have to use any structual timber onlt non structual.

MGP10 or F5.

If there are any demolision places near you, you should be able to pick up some iron.

Will just need to get the other timber.

Many options you can go with. I only did what i di because i had the materials laying around.

Only problem is the old man has seen it and now has aquired 2 tubs for me to do.

If ya need any pointers feel free to PM me.

=)

Want another tub? :) Id have one like yours for sure!

As a kid, we had two old cast iron bath tubs in the back yard under a large gum tree. Stocked full of platies, guppies, sword tails and blackmores. Lots of water plants in the tubs. Used to watch Kingfishers sitting in the gum tree above the tubs, but can't ever recall seeing one dive in.

Recently I saw a thread (think it was on another forum) where some one put a window in an IBC container to watch their fish.